Daughter's Brand X Engine Died

-
What might it be from????

I got a call yesterday from the son-in-law, he had his blueoval truck out & it died (daughter and grandson were with him.I went out and ended up adding 9 quarts of oil to it. (7.3 diesel) Never did get it started so I towed him with my Dodge plow truck. He dumped the clutch on his truck and got it started, kind of knocking like rocker arms or a bent pushrod. Still sitting in my drive as of now.

If that 7.3 was a direct injection you can not hurt the engine from running out of oil it has a high pressure oil pump that runs the fuel injectors the engine will die and not start when it starts picking up air. Kind of idiot proof. now dirty oil is a whole different problem.

Brian

Wow. I'm tempted to wire the oil warning light to trigger an ignition ground relay on ignition circuit, if my kid ever drives. No oil? No ignition. No choice.

is it a 7afe or 1zz-fe? 1zz-fe's are piles of crap engines with tons of bottom end problems.

1zz-fe - I guess I will hope for the best. This one was really treated bad. I got the car for cheap so all is not lost.

Well, my Honda got totaled on Wednesday... so I was on the fast track to get my daughters (she already bought another car) car running so I can drive it while I look for a new beater.

Fired up the 1.8 liter this afternoon. No leaks, sounds and runs good. Hopefully, this one lasts for a while.

If that 7.3 was a direct injection you can not hurt the engine from running out of oil it has a high pressure oil pump that runs the fuel injectors the engine will die and not start when it starts picking up air. Kind of idiot proof. now dirty oil is a whole different problem.

Brian

I think the post you quoted said they ran without engine oil, yes you can run a diesel engine without engine oil, but not for long; they blow up just like any other engine

the high pressure oil pump you speak of is for fuel only, injected at the proper time into the cylinders for combustion, not for lubercation of the bottom end by the time the oil pump picks up air, the bearings are gone!

My brother-in-law's dad use to build and race Dusters. He built one for his son's wife that she never put oil in. Seized the engine beyond repair. Shortly after the father died and the son gave his wife his dad's last built duster. Wanna guess what she didn't do? Yup, never checked the oil. So that's 2 super nice Dusters destroyed, not including the sentimental loss. This is one of the big reasons that I am teaching my wife all of the things she needs to do to keep her car, 66 Dart, running.

-
Back