David Vizard bench flows a BBD 2bbl

-
Mmm, I think that was their assumption and they mislead themselves.

UTG, DV, and Andy are pretty much using stock parts yet they are modified and will be extensively so on some of them. Most anyone that thought you could "tune/tweak/recurve/jet/ to get the 300" out of a 318 with a BBD carb and 100% untouched OEM cam, or any piece for that matter, knew it wasn't possible and were looking forward to UTG's failure so they could point and laugh. Honestly, this build wouldn't get near the scrutiny it has so far if UTG wasn't involved. People need to take their bias out of it and just pay attention and learn from what DV is putting out there and let the chips fall where they may.
trying to read between the lines >>> LOL Means you quoted my line "tune/jet/etc" and then say "they" and that "they" can laugh at UTG is it safe to assume you mean me?? :) If so, you'd be wrong

Last edited:
circle track engine builders been doing 2 bbl builds for decades it ant nuttun new and 1 hp per ci ant nearly as hard to reach as some of yall acting like, its been done, it ant rocket surgery!! go check out some stock class's at some them dirt tracks and you see what im say'in!

trying to read between the lines >>> LOL Means you quoted my line "tune/jet/etc" and then say "they" and that "they" can laugh at UTG is it safe to assume you mean me?? :) If so, you'd be wrong
LOL, no, not you! There are just some here that hate UTG with a passion and I believe they let their "feels" get in the way sometimes.

The core of this build is just a basically normal build, cam, cr, heads, just instead of aftermarket, just using crank offset and milling to gain cr, and a regrind cam and porting heads with 1.78/1.50 valves. Sure ordering new hew heads cam piston would make more $$$$ sense but who cares, and if they come up with a good combo could always use aftermarket parts to duplicate it. And sure the 2 bbl and stock intake and exhaust manifolds are gonna be a cork and senseless on a performance build so, and other than the head work and maybe a few other details most will have very few real world practical uses for most it. I don't get why this build bothers people so much.

There's only a handful of 318 builds with dyno numbers so for people who like 318 can't hurt may give some insights,. Would like to see them throw on a 4bbl and headers to.
I'm willing to lay $$$ those heads don't have 1.78" intake valves at the conclusion of this little adventure, lol....

As much as i like what they are doing, I will say that I don't know how budget friendly this would be for the common man. All 3 of those guys would tell you that 318 hp would come much cheaper if you could just buy performance parts. I think turning a crank to stroke, porting heads and bench flowing, and such as that would be high dollar prices if a common man had to pay it at a machine/performance shop.
Agree with what you said. It is just a vanity project. They are going back to hot rod roots using what you have on hand or what you can scrounge. The way it used to be before a lot of these parts were readily available.

It is unlikely anyone will try to duplicate their effort, but we may learn something from it. That's what holds my interest.

That cylinder head guy in Florida is working 302 heads. i predict they end up on the engine. No harm no foul but that's not what Tony said in the first video. It would also be nice if they put out what something like this would cost but out of convenience to himself I predict Tony doesn't say a word about it. they need to raise compression nd they know it. those stock early 70s heads are open chamber.

Agree with what you said. It is just a vanity project. They are going back to hot rod roots using what you have on hand or what you can scrounge. The way it used to be before a lot of these parts were readily available.

It is unlikely anyone will try to duplicate their effort, but we may learn something from it. That's what holds my interest.
This nonsense will run the price of junk 318s through the roof mark my words. So much for the "little guy"

circle track engine builders been doing 2 bbl builds for decades it ant nuttun new and 1 hp per ci ant nearly as hard to reach as some of yall acting like, its been done, it ant rocket surgery!! go check out some stock class's at some them dirt tracks and you see what im say'in!
You are right it is easy to do with a 500cfm Holley 2bbl and decent intake. A stock 318 2bbl and intake are a far cry from that though. It will be interesting to see what work around they come up with.

This nonsense will run the price of junk 318s through the roof mark my words. So much for the "little guy"
Somehow I doubt there will be a run on 318's. I wonder how many millions of them have been produced through the years?

Somehow I doubt there will be a run on 318's. I wonder how many millions of them have been produced through the years?
Ive seen one recently on Craigslist . The person wants $4200 for a 5.2 magnum long block with Edelbrock heads, balanced bottom end with 340 crank etc.etc. thing is no dyno run or claim of horsepower. One could order a 5.9 magnum 320 HP form Summit or Jegs for less. I am guessing its someone who bought the 318 hype built it up during COVID is now trying to get some of their money back. Id bet they are taking a loss.

Last edited:
As much as i like what they are doing, I will say that I don't know how budget friendly this would be for the common man. All 3 of those guys would tell you that 318 hp would come much cheaper if you could just buy performance parts. I think turning a crank to stroke, porting heads and bench flowing, and such as that would be high dollar prices if a common man had to pay it at a machine/performance shop.
A 320 HP 5.9m from Summit or jegs. Its not what Tony calls hot rodding, but it is cost effective for the guy who wants to go down the road or track on a budget. A true working man can save up 3500 bucks plus or minus for a crate engine all it takes is discipline with saving money. Tony is making videos he isn't necessarily a racer rumor is he doesn't have a drivers license.

Last edited:
Just because he said something about offset grinding the crank, doesn't mean the stroke will be any different. Just that they want to move the piston higher in the bore at TDC closer to zero deck.
If they are using original 318 rods they can't move it much, a 30 thou regrind usually means 15 thou off of stock "all the way around" I guess they could take most of the 30 off the underside of the crank throw, and little off the "top side" which wouldn't alter the stroke from oem.

Sounds like an NHRA stock eliminator crank prep to me. Minimal stroke increase with index correction.

IMO, UTG is a soap Opera...purely for entertainment. If he could make the money on a weekly show he'd do it but daily or every couple of days keeps the money coming in as per the Youtube algorithm.

.Remember "days of our Lives and General hospital..whos screwing who was the plot? its was there as an addiction for couch potato housewives. Uncle Tony will never be a racer he

doesn't drive on the street no license. It's a soap opera.YT commercials have replaced the soap company advertisements. The best thing anyone can do is get off their *** and go out to

the garage and work on something if you have it, watching UTG will make you stupid. Remember you have been warned. :)

dont need no bigger valve than the carter BBD will flow its gonna be the big choke point no ways around it....

That’s just absurd. I’d that was the case, every ASScar race on a restrictor plate engine would be running 2.02 valves and that doesn’t happen.

IMO, UTG is a soap Opera...purely for entertainment...

...watching UTG will make you stupid. Remember you have been warned. :)
I agree, but at the same time I know I'll learn some good stuff from watching David Vizard, Andy Wood, and possibly the new cylinder head guy they're apparently bringing in. Other than that, the only thing we know for sure (based on past videos) is that if the project is a success, UT will try to take most of the credit, if not he'll try to shift blame on the guys who did most of the work. Like you said, he is a soap opera.
But I am glad he got DV and AW to do a small block Mopar. It might end up being the only useful video series UT has had anything to do with.

Well there are two fairly common ways to raise compression, the 340 way or zero deck closed chamber way. All done before all proven. LA 318 heads are junk when you can use magnum heads. Just for the flow characteristics. All of these things have been done before, and those involved know the recipes. there is a reason the cylinder head guy is working on the 302 heads. The LA 318 stock heads will be tossed. If the stock LA head were to be used they would need positive deck height pistons. Last I checked they cost 1000 dollars or so.
Vizard will do his tricks but parts will be swapped...unless they do a dyno pull on video i wont believe anything Tony says as far as HP numbers. Hes a bullshitter with ET times he will be a bullshitter with HP specs.

That’s just absurd. I’d that was the case, every ASScar race on a restrictor plate engine would be running 2.02 valves and that doesn’t happen.
I wonder what the HP gain would be going from a 1.78 to a larger valve on a 3.91 bore with a bbd carb?

I wonder what the HP gain would be going from a 1.78 to a larger valve on a 3.91 bore with a bbd carb?

I don’t know but it would be fun to test. Of course, you’d need to do the port work after installing the bigger valves.

-
Back