Day two of the 64 Valiant

-
Sounds like fuel percolating.
Start by getting the carb off the intake with a small heat insulator spacer. Then I would do the slant 6 fuel mod with the fuel line. Basically, the fuel line comes from the fuel pump, up over the valve cover. The coolant through the Clifford intake, is a trick set-up. It actually warms the carb up when cold, and then keeps it at running temp once running. I have the same set-up.

Sounds like fuel percolating.
Start by getting the carb off the intake with a small heat insulator spacer. Then I would do the slant 6 fuel mod with the fuel line. Basically, the fuel line comes from the fuel pump, up over the valve cover. The coolant through the Clifford intake, is a trick set-up. It actually warms the carb up when cold, and then keeps it at running temp once running. I have the same set-up.

Thanks, my intake is hooked to the heater hose, it runs through the intake under the carb. As for the fuel line, I want to run it up from the pump, add a fuel filter behind the alternator but........I am leaning on cleaning up the engine a bit and want to run the fuel line around the front lower edge of the valve cover until its 90 degrees to the right of the carb, bend the line accordingly and route it to the carb. Also the vacuum line will be hard lined and routed in the same fashion. This is to clean up the lines so nothing is running over the valve cover. Thinking of eliminating the heater hose to the valve cover or doing a 90 degree elbow so the heater hose is routed better too. Think a small piece of aluminum under the carb extending out on the underside of the carb will suffice?

When the guys on slantsix.org. come up with a recommendation like their fuel line makever, it works. Or I can also say it worked for me. But like said, that might not be YOUR problem.
It cost me the price of some fuel injection hose to test it.

There's nothing wrong with changing parts that need changing anyway.
But, assuming a problem exists doesn't mean it does. Checking for dry float bowls is easy. As RRR said, take off the filter and pump the carb a few times after it's been shutdown when hot. Does it squirt fuel? How does it compare to when you pump it when the engine is cold? If you take the filter off right after shutdown and watch, do you see vapor, smell fuel, or see it bubble out of anywhere? When cold, does it fire right away? Or does it take 3-5 revs before it fires off? All of these things can help give you an indication of what may be going on. These checks are quick and can give you a lot of info.

Heat can also screw with electronics, so I wouldn't jump straight to fuel either - but it's prudent to rule it out.

I had a new-to-me hotrod that was a pain in the *** to start, hot or cold. Seemed better hot, but not always. Turned out to be a loose ground wire for the distributor module. The previous owner had done all kinds of things trying to figure it out and never did. I almost missed it until I pulled the distributor to re-install the vacuum advance.

A lot of these supposed fuel system problems actually turn out to be electrical/tuning problems. Rusty’s basic diagnostic tips will put you on the right track.

A lot of these supposed fuel system problems actually turn out to be electrical/tuning problems. Rusty’s basic diagnostic tips will put you on the right track.

Friend of mine briefly owned a 390 AMX with what he thought was a carb problem. Went to help him, messed around with the carb with no effect, checked for spark, had that, then I decided we should try to time the motor. Timing was all over the place. Pulled the distributor, the gear was stripped. Gear on the cam looked OK, so he ordered a new distributor gear, we put that in, timed it, got it running well.

Sold the AMX and got a second gen Barracuda, 318 with 340 intake. Car had been sitting a while. He couldn't get it started, again he suspected carb was the problem. So I came over, messed a bit with the carb, then checked spark. None. Problem turned out to be the bulkhead wiring connector. Unplugged that, was full of dust and crap. Blew that out, sprayed it with cleaner, plugged it back in, fired right up.

But then sometimes, of course, the problem is the carburetor.

-
Back