Dayton Air Show crash

-
I did get a chance to see the video. Some of the comments were unreal. One lady said she saw the expression on the ladies face and she knew something was wrong. This lady must have had some good eyes as she had face protection and was far away from the crowd. They said the equipment was top notch and all in perfect working order. In addition they had tons of practice hours doing this stunt it was like a routine maneuver. I saw a report that the pilot and wingwalker checked out 100% clean. Every one has an opinion about things and like some I have one about this accident. If you can still get the video and it does not have to be the 1:43 version. The less trhan a minute will show what I think I saw. Upon lining up for the stunt you can see the lady getting in position and then dropping under the planes wing ready for the plane roll. The plane drops altitude then starts a roll to the left to get inverted. When the planes right wing reaches about 11 o'clock there is a sudden slight stream of smoke that comes out of the very bottom of the nose canopy. Its not out of the exhaust but right at the seam on the belly of the craft. I have seen Stearmans do this type of roll and dont recall seeing this smoke. I am no expert at all but a common sense thought would be a head or jug gasket went out and that cylinder lost compression or something like that making the plane lose power and the plane was going in a stall?? Just my opinion which dont mean much but what I saw did not look right. In any event it was a sad loss of life. They both went out doing what they loved best. They can now fly free for eternity!!
Chas.

Thanks for the insight I'll look at the video closer. I do agree though that it was some type of mechanical failure. The plane suddenly rolls right (inverted it looks like left), it doesn't get blown by a gust of wind, or over trims ( as I've heard speculation). I don't know which direction the engine turns so I can't say if the engine lost power which caused the roll or, as I suspect, a flight control failure. I just got back from vacation and had very little, if any internet access so I'll keep looking.

You know, mightta been mechanical failure......or couldda been pilot disorientation. I don't care how good you are, when you get that close to the ground, you can get your ups and downs mixed up. Happens to the best of them. She was a real cutie too.

Attachments

• WICKER.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 162
Very sad and unfortunate ,i still wonder after all theses air show fatalities over the world , they even allow them anymore .Especially with children on hand to watch .SHOCKING.

-
Back