Daytona Barn Find

-
Thinly veiled racism, homophobia, personal attacks. Just close this thread already...

1969 Dodge Daytona

Customer complaints from 'back-in-the-day'.

* Engine over-heats at slow speeds.
* Impossible to park in a 'stripe-marked' parking lot.
* The Wing aero-dynamics come into play at 130 MPH. In other words, useless for
normal street-driving.
* People poking at the vertical-fins.
* Beer and Soda cans placed on the Vertical Wings.
* Fender and Hood alignments, or poor workmanship.
* No Air Conditioning
* Head-Light boxes work poorly.

Eh.. If your in to 3digit speeds, They would be the old Mopar to have.
They served their design purpose well. I neither love or hate the cars.
If one were given to me I`d sell on a big auction house and build 3 bitchen A-bodys#-o

Eh.. If your in to 3digit speeds, They would be the old Mopar to have.
They served their design purpose well. I neither love or hate the cars.
If one were given to me I`d sell on a big auction house and build 3 bitchen A-bodys#-o

Same here, I respect their history, but that's about it. I don't care for the nose or wing... so I wouldn't own one. I'd sell it and build a superbee and roadrunner.

1969 1/2 Dodge Daytona

Banned in the District of Columbia and Maryland.

'No Front Bumper'

Both DMV's would not issue a title for these 'long-nosed' wing cars, unless
there was a fabrication installed {off-site} to act as a Bumper.

1969 1/2 Dodge Daytona

Talk about length.......... 226.5" Inches {18.83 feet}

You need to 'pack-a-lunch', just to walk around the car.

I like the wing cars. Always have. I don't like how everything has to turn into a peein contest around here.

Length

* Dodge Daytona ....... 226.5" = {18.8 Feet}
* Dodge Charger ........ 207.9" = {17.3 Feet]
* Dodge Coronet ........ 206.0" = {17.2 Feet}

Length

* Dodge Daytona ....... 226.5" = {18.8 Feet}
* Dodge Charger ........ 207.9" = {17.3 Feet]
* Dodge Coronet ........ 206.0" = {17.2 Feet}

So, what's the point?

There is no dispute the cars were long. Hell, I have three '69 B-bodies and an E-body. The E-body was previously owned by my dad. I always told him that when the E-body grew up it wanted to be (one of my) B-bodies. Some of us like bigger cars.

Some of us happen to like the winged cars, too. Rather you like the shape or not, those cars, along with the aero cars from Ford, were a big part of car history in that the factories were willing to go all out in winning on the track. Yeah, they took hits on the cars on the dealership lots, but even if you didn't buy a winged car, how many Dusters, Valiants, Darts were sold because an winged car was sitting on the lot and bringing customers in, giving the salesperson a chance to talk up the rest of the line?

It's been a dealership staple for years. One of the Ford dealerships I worked for was (is) a Roush dealer. People would see the 427 cars and come on the lot and gawk and dream and leave with a car that was more affordable and more practical.

It was like backyard engineering, that really worked well. I love the Winged Cars! Modern aerodynamics without a computer, just guys with smarts and a thought! sweet. MT

-
Back