De-arcing SS springs

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
How much room would I need to have for 275/60/15 on the street aka 28in tire and 28 Hooiser slicks on the track? I want to de arch the springs to even out the ride a little

I don't know if that is the way to go. If you read up in the MP chassis book, they show the rake with the rear higher.

If you want the lean out. put a stabilizer on the front and Crank the left front and lower the right a little,. I wouldn't touch the springs, Steve

If you want the lean out. put a stabilizer on the front and Crank the left front and lower the right a little,. I wouldn't touch the springs, Steve

lean? I want to lower the back to make the ride level.

I ran a set of 002/003 on a BB 71 Scamp race car and ran them as is with them mounted in the frame rail. I never liked the stanch with the right rear higher but man did they work great. 1.31 60 ft. The car actual hooked so hard i found the shock tubes dented from the axle wrap. I then install an adjustable snubber and never had to worry about the rear suspension again. What I might have done in hindsight is run two of the same number SS springs.

The superstock springs do make the rear of the car sit rather high, so you can either flip the front spring hangers, or add a lowering block. I opted for a 1" lowering block on my car, and it sits much better.

Rather De-arch...I just want to know what kind of space I should look to have to be safe with the tires Im running.

To alter your SS springs would be defeating their purpose.
If you want to level out your ride, you would be better off selling the SS springs, and getting a standard set.

To alter your SS springs would be defeating their purpose.
If you want to level out your ride, you would be better off selling the SS springs, and getting a standard set.

Defeating purpose? Above is a posted link with what people have done with de-arcing the springs..1 guy ran 1.39 with the springs de arched. Please someone help me with my original question.

Defeating purpose? Above is a posted link with what people have done with de-arcing the springs..1 guy ran 1.39 with the springs de arched. Please someone help me with my original question.

Yes, defeating the purpose. They are designed they way they are, with the arch they have, for traction at the track. To de-arch them would defeat there purpose.

So what is your question then ?

The slicks are going to grow on the track. they will get narrower and taller. I would try a set of lowering blocks, make sure they are solid. If you have rubbing issued its much easier to remove the blocks then to re arch the springs.

This is a 3000 lb.car with 3000 lb. SS springs. The front is in the 1 inch upper holes the rear is in the 1 inch lower holes in the shackles. The car after completed an settled sets pretty level. It has 29's on rear and small rubber on front. It still has a little rake but it did settle, the last picture is after a summer of hard launches. They will lose some arch on there own. Steve

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF0090.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 205
  • dus4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 213
I would dearch the springs or use a good solid lowering block like was already mentioned above. IMO the cars look stupid on both the street and track all jacked up in the rear. I'm sure there is a minor loss of 60' by not having the *** in up in the air at the track. However I didn't notice any when I dearched mine, but my car is not really set up for 100% track duty.

Attachments

• Morro Bay 121.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 196
I'll help you buddy,

Buy shorter rear tires and leave the springs along:headbang:
IDK even know what your saying...I have 4.10 gears why would I want shorter tires...Ive also had lowering blocks and It wasnt enough and the pinion angle was off

This is a 3000 lb.car with 3000 lb. SS springs. The front is in the 1 inch upper holes the rear is in the 1 inch lower holes in the shackles. The car after completed an settled sets pretty level. It has 29's on rear and small rubber on front. It still has a little rake but it did settle, the last picture is after a summer of hard launches. They will lose some arch on there own. Steve

How much room do you have on top, sides and front and back with that 29? If de arching takes the effect of SS spirngs away, maybe I will just add slide a link or something of that sort with them till I can afford the mono leafs

try them first they may settle. heres mine on some 30yo SS springs they work fine.

Attachments

• securedownload (640x480).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 71 Demon 340 (10).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 184
Contact a local spring shop for a cost estimate. You might be surprised what a camber change will cost compared to new springs. Flipping the front hanger would be worth a try, and cost little.

Lowering blocks would be OK on the street, but at the track raising the axle centerline above the spring will increase wind-up and possibly create a wheel hop issue.

The car is street/strip not 100% strip. Idk if Sliders would be for me

A friend of mine took one of the leafs out of his SS springs in his mintubbed dart and the rear looks lower and has a great even stance, and still launches hard at the track and on the street. The leaf he took off was about 20" long. It would save you money on dearching, and if you are racing it and don't like the way it acts, put it back in. He says he loves it and will not put them back in.

-
Back