Deadly Wagon

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
I'm just about done sorting out my Volare wagon bracket car after converting it to methanol.

Was having a hard time staying green because of the car moving so much harder than before.
Played around adjusting the car on friday test and tune to try to keep it in the beams a little longer. Finally got it close for the points race on saturday.

Saturday, I entered footbrake and Pro both. Didnt expect to go any rounds in Pro beacuse of running against the delay boxes. Just wanted to get the extra two practice runs before starting eliminations in footbrake.

Had a decent day. Won the first two rounds in footbrake before going .006 red and dead on with a 1 in the 3rd round.

To my surprise, got down to 6 cars in Pro after starting with a 46 car field. Was hitting the tree pretty good and the car was running numbers.

I put a 6.88 on the car first round and never took it off all day. In 8 rounds of eliminations, the car ran dead on 4 times, and 1 over on the brakes 4 times.

The change to methanol has been a very positive one for me so far.

View attachment IMG_6905.jpg

That is a good outcome. Did you change from gas and if you did how much did it pick up?

That is a good outcome. Did you change from gas and if you did how much did it pick up?

Changed from E-85.

Car would go high 6.90's in good air on the E-85.
Mostly ran around a 7 flat average.

Best pass on the methanol is 6.864 so far.

Normally, I've seen guys pick up about 2 to 3 tenths over gas.

And that is the one and only benefit I have seen with alcohol. It has a MUCH wider tune up window. It will go way past rich and not slow down.

Other than that...

Glad you did well.

Its for sure more consistent than gas, though. I know guys who run the number on gas. However, they are more prone to be off the number during the window between day and night when the sun is going down. just because gas is much more sensitive to air changes.

E-85 was very consistent, and a little faster than gas. I still run it on my Dart.

Congrats! Methanol can make big power while running cool. And plugs last longer. When it gets cold it can be hard to start on first start up....

-
Back