Dealership workers, are you

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
As slow as I am at work ? I work in the detail dpartment at a Honda dealership. Last year was very busy. We would do probably 15+ new and used cars a day. The last 3 months have been so slow I've been leaving work aroun noon. Were doing about 5 cars a day. :wack:

Dave571 works at Ford - says most days they have no vehicles to work on until 9-9:30 and most days finished by 3:00pm

The best part is they still want us to have someone there (waiting for work) 6 days a week till 8pm. We work oncommission so if your sitting there your not making anything. My paychecks are 1/2 what they were last year.

I took my wife's sister to go buy a car last weekend. The sales guy dropped $1500 like it was nothing just so they could sell a car. He told me they haven't sold a car in a week and a half and he wasn't gonna go 2 weeks. She got a '00 Neon that was loaded and only had 43K miles on it for $5900......out the door. They wanted $7200 for it and cam down to $6500 and I told her to get up we were leaving......the guy asked me what number I was thinking of.......told him $5500 and he went to the sales manager.....cam back and said they gave $6500 for the trade and he'd sell for $5900.....cause they needed to sell a car. This was at a Hyundai Dealership. I still think they made more than $400 dollar on the car but she still got a deal.

I think a lot of the problem at y dealership is the used manager insults people with there trade ins. He will not give you a good price on them. I know people who have gone to 2 dealerships before they came to mine. The first 2 offered around $7500 for there trade in. My dealership, $2500. Thats sad. How do these people sleep at night.

I laughed at the sales guy at this dealership cause we drove 3 cars and he said all of them were traded in by old people.......I laughed and called him on his BS......Used car salemen have a bad rap as it is and then they lie more on top of it and a really stupid lie at that. The market has caught up with them......the unions made the price of a car so much that people can't afford a new car every couple of years and the market is flooded......if you shop around enough someone will give you the price you are looking for......just need to find the dealership that is desperate enough to sell a car that day.

Yep, I work at a GMC, buick, pontiac dealer. Were dead, its slow everywhere right now.

It's not just the car business that's slow. I've been working for a high-end bicycle shop for the last 7years. We've been down 20% for the last 3 months.

Greg

Construction is up...we were way up last year and this year is a little slower but we are still busier than usual for this time of the year.

Yeah. It's slow everywhere. Was working at an independant shop
till end of april this year. He closed due to lack of work.
Went to work at a Honda dealership to safety the used cars. They
said there was alot of work. Well, this week I have only booked
about 11to12 hours this week. Can't pay the bills with only a
dozen hours of pay. Service manager is gone the rest of the week.
When he gets back monday. I'm goning to hit him up to lay me
off for awhile. You know, The last hired/ fist laid off.
i hope he goes for it. I'll make more money on unemployment.

At our dodge dealer here we seem to be slower, but still doin full days work, some days are pretty slammin. I am a manager in the Service Dept area and you always can tell when Hunting season hits around here because that week is slow, but we are staying steady and Sales is moving out product still fairly regular. So going into winter not too bad so far....gotta keep the momentum rollin though!

-RPM

I'm fortunate I work in a high volume dealership (Star Nissan in Bayside, N.Y.)that has an enormous customer base. We're always busy....

I have noticed right about this time of year I used to slow down (Home improvment) due to the upcoming holodays. Thanks giving & Christmas are the biggies. December was dead until mid Feb.

Thats normal, Most companies slow down around this time a bit. We've been slow since last Novemeber and just get slower.

i work for mercedes-benz and we have been slow for a few months. the toyota dealership next to me, which is usually busy has also slowed down. i dont know what the deal is.

isnt it always like this for alot of car places, i know this time of year my dads frame shop slows down alot, he will take work he would normally refuse just for the money, but with this time of year it also means extra free time, = more work on his challenger :headbang: but not this year :( he just needs to weld the trunk floors in

I forget who made the comment, but some jerk ALWAYS blames the unions. Usually its someone who's pissed that they have no security in their job. The cost of labor in a new car ( foreign and domestic) is below 15%. I think that this person needs to look toward Washington DC and aim that anger where it belongs. Look who'e running the show.

dusterdon said:
I forget who made the comment, but some jerk ALWAYS blames the unions. Usually its someone who's pissed that they have no security in their job. The cost of labor in a new car ( foreign and domestic) is below 15%. I think that this person needs to look toward Washington DC and aim that anger where it belongs. Look who'e running the show.

not to mention the make up on these new cars ,trucks and suv s ...I have been out of dealerships for a few years but the percentages for profit have gone crazy . on some of the suv s the mark up is as high as 40 percent or more....even the low end cars are getting around 18 to 25 percent...big business is making a killing on everything lately, just look at the gas prices last summer............its got to stop somewhere......

this year I have had to drive 2 hours each way to work, the construction work around here has all been in the private sector. hardly any public works jobs at all ... as bad as our bridges all are I have only worked on one in the past four years, and its getting worse

dont blame the unions for the greed at the top.....and if they didnt set the pay scale , you boss would....good luck with that.......

dusterdon said:

not to mention the make up on these new cars ,trucks and suv s ...I have been out of dealerships for a few years but the percentages for profit have gone crazy . on some of the suv s the mark up is as high as 40 percent or more....even the low end cars are getting around 18 to 25 percent...big business is making a killing on everything lately, just look at the gas prices last summer............its got to stop somewhere......

this year I have had to drive 2 hours each way to work, the construction work around here has all been in the private sector. hardly any public works jobs at all ... as bad as our bridges all are I have only worked on one in the past four years, and its getting worse

dont blame the unions for the greed at the top.....and if they didnt set the pay scale , your boss would....good luck with that.......

I say blame the government. They say the economy is great. If
you look around in the small towns, more and more business' are
closing up due to the economy. Back on the orignal meaning of the
thread. I only booked 17 hours of work this week. Can I get
unemployment to cover the rest to the normal 40 hrs.

-
Back