Dealing with insurance companies

-

replicaracer43

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Looking for any advise or input on dealing with a insurance company on a classic car. My 71 swinger is insured through a classic collector policy for a agreed 12k. A few months back it was hit in the rear by a guy in a 1 ton chevy truck, his insurance accepted the fault, but the issue is they don't want to pay a fair amount....what's the best Avenue to pursue a fair settlement?

Use your insurance company to fight for you. It's part of what you pay them for.

Use your insurance company to fight for you. It's part of what you pay them for.
As ddaddy says. Put a claim in with your insurance company. They will pay for the damage and subrogate (go after) the other guys. They should collect the full amount and refund your deductible.
Full disclosure- this could increase your insurance rates.

If all else fails you might call your state insurance commissioner. Possibly just mentioning that your going to make that call might make the company react.
Yote

I would contact your insurance company, let them know whats happening. Very likely a few calls will be made and the problem solved. You likely have an adjuster or another desk jockey that view the car as a used car.
It could be a simple conversation could clear the matter up.
The nuclear option is to sue the guy who hit you.
I know it's not what you want to do, but the reality of it is, he hit you, you have a loss and you should be made right if his insurance isn't willing to. If his insurance isn't willing to resolve the issue, that doesn't take him off the hook for his actions.
If you have to go this route, be ready to fix the car on your own dime. Keep every receipt and log every second you spent on the repair.
Likely what will likely happen is, he will call his insurance company and it'll get settled before you get to court.
On a side note, you say this happened a couple of months ago? I wouldn't be above asking for a third party loss of enjoyment of property claim. You lost out on the last of the cruise season.

If all else fails you might call your state insurance commissioner. Possibly just mentioning that your going to make that call might make the company react.
Yote

Don't try that in Idaho. Exactly like talking to a talking brick wall.

Yote
iN OKLA. OUR INS. COMMISH. IS A TITLE TO PAY SOMEBODIES FRIEND, OR FAMILY MEMEBER, BIG BUCKS. HE WAS WORTHLESS AS TITS ON A BORE HOG, WHEN MY P/U WAS STOLEN, AND STATE FARM TRIED TO SCREW ME OVER FOR A YEAR! ALLSTATE HAS JUST HAD THEIR INS. ADJUSTER LOOK AT MY CURRANT P/U, AND ADJUSTED IT WAY LOWER THAN WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX IT . I THINK THEY BOTH SUCK !

-
Back