Dealing with rusty bolts

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on using products like Never-Sieze on bolts?
I just removed the Fan, and all 4 bolts are pretty orange/rusty. Some other bolts as well.

I hit them with WD40 which helps a little.

What I am thinking is put a small dab of Brake grease on the threads. Thoughts?

Also just removed the water pump and water outlet, real rusty. ended up finding some heat resistant black bolts that will work. But would like to also lube them a little.
There was one bolt in the water pump that must be in water all the time. Maybe dont grease that one?

I also have 3-1 oil.

Clean them with a wire brush or wheel and use the anti-seize; it allows the bolts to torque up properly.

I never had a ton Of luck with anti seize. And I work as a industrial mechanic, I usually like to use synthetic trans fluid.

I always use anti seize while assembly just for good measure. In my opinion PB blaster breaks stuff free better than wd-40 :)

WD-40 is a water displacement product, not a penetrant or an anti-sieze. PB Blaster is a very good penetrant, and either the copper-based or graphite-based anti-sieze are well advised. If you are threading through water passages consider wrapping the thread-ends with Teflon tape to keep the hot, pressurized water from subbing up the threads and causing other issues (similar to through-bolts on crankshaft-to-flywheel flanges).

Depends lot on where it goes. If there is any concern of it loosening, blue (removable) locktight good and will help seal out rust. - but not a true sealant. Never sieze is good for most on exhaust and some others. For The ones that go into water like manifold studs and i believe one of the pump bolts there is this stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 194
I use never sieze on spark plugs and all bolts going into Aluminum heads

Heat, and meat!

Propane-torch2-500.jpg

l.jpg

Have a good summer!

-
Back