Decade Dart - father son '70 Dart 340 4 speed project

-

swinger

Reaction score
I have a decade+ long resto project nearing completion, so it seems fitting to start documenting the journey.

I guess it began all the way back in 1970, when my dad special ordered his first new car. A Dodge Dart Swinger, 225 slant six, 3 speed manual on the floor, rallye suspension, disc brakes, sway bar, green with tan interior, tinted glass... a bit of an odd ball combo that that I bet was pretty damn rare. Being a father of 3 young boys all under age 5, he opted for a bit of practicality over his true desire to check the 340 and the 4-speed boxes.

Nonetheless, it was a great car which served the family well for years. As a testament to its virtual indestructability, years later the car survived three teenage boys learning to drive a stick shift, and then driving a stick shift. My dad reclaimed posession of his car from the kids somewhere in the late 80's. He was using it as a commuter when one day the car decided it was done... a leaking fuel line led to a massive engine fire that took the car out of service.

Though we were definately fans of Mopar muscle back then, neither one of us were in a place where we even thought about restoring this car. Instead, dad sold it for $100. Yep, $100. What a gold mine in parts for only $100!

Anyway, as we rolled into the late 90's, the Mopar itch flared up, and my dad and I started shopping for a joint venture "investment". We landed a '69 Road Runner that was maybe 70% restored, and completed that project resulting in a clean cruiser that usually does well in the local shows.

I guess that B-Body, nice as it is, didn't really scratch the old Dart itch for us. I think it was '02 when we found our subject car for this thread: A 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger, 340, 4-speed car.... the car dad would have bought new if he had the means. This one had lived a hard life. Rust was not it's problem. The body was a bit beat down, some glass was missing, and the interior was non-existent. The electrical system was totally butchered. There was a partially disassembled 273 under the hood... but the numbers matching 340 short block was in the passenger compartment, and the original 4 speed 883 and 8.75 rear were in place. Most importantly, the fender tag proved it was an original 340 4 speed car, in B5 blue, with bumble bee stripe, performance hood paint and more. And so began the undertaking of our biggest resto project to date.

dart before.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Good! Goodluck with it!!

You have great taste...lol. good luck and keep posting !

Thanks. So, given the massive amount of parts we were missing, it seemed that the first order of business should be to get ourselves a parts car. Before long we found an ideal candidate; a clean and straight '70 Dart Swinger 225 column auto car, with disc brakes and an 8.75 rear. Being born with a slant six, the asking price was a steal for this registered, running and driving “parts car”, compared to the 3X price we had forked over for the decrepit 340 project car. Such is life in the world of matching numbers collectibles.

Out of respect for the previous owner of the 225 Dart who was unaware that I was buying his baby as a donor car, I will refrain from posting any pictures of it. Funny sidebar: With no "for sale" markings on the vehicle whatsoever, I hadn't driven away more than 3 minutes from point of purchase before someone flagged me down and offered to buy it from me on the spot. Although I could have turned one of the worlds quickest flips, the car had so much of what we needed that it really wasn't too hard to resist the temptation.

The car made it several hundred miles home under its own power with no significant issues, and was promptly torn apart. The parts we were missing were removed for our project car, parts we had in duplicate were compared for the best of each, and parts we didn’t need were sold off to subsidize the project. 10 years later, we still haven’t let go of the remainder of the parts car, which has served us well for little bits and pieces we needed during the project, but didn’t even realize at first. I suppose now the time is nearing to finally get rid of what remains… I guess I’ll have to post some pictures later in this thread and see if anyone out there wants a last shot at some stuff before it’s sold for scrap metal.

Next up, on to the body work....

Wearing some sheetmetal from two other donors
134_3495.JPG
134_3497.JPG

Last edited:
No major rust or accident damage to contend with, just years of typical aging to undo
134_3499.JPG
112_1211.JPG
134_3492.JPG
134_3498.JPG
135_3501.JPG

Last edited:
Stripped to the bone in preparation for media blasting
135_3534.JPG
135_3536.JPG
135_3537.JPG

Last edited:
Nice project, and a great story too. Looks like a nice car to start with. Here an old picture, but its something that might keep you motivated.

Attachments

• PaulandIHoods.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 720
Wow, you guys aren't wasting anytime! Nice solid car.. It's cool seeing another 70 Swinger 340 father son build. I'm doing the same with mine, but my car is far from being solid.

My first car was a '70 Swinger 340 4spd and an original B5 blue car. My Dad found it for sale in the classifieds section of the local newspaper when I was 14. I still miss that car. This build really reminds me of it, and the time I got to spend working on it with my Dad...Thank you for sharing, and great job so far! :)

Thanks for the support, and glad you are enjoying following along with our project. I do need to clarify something however...
Although we're still working on the project, this has been a retrospective tale of it so far. Don't get the wrong idea that we are lightning fast, nothing could be farther from the truth! We started this project back around '02, and the work I've posted so far was actually completed years ago :)
Nonetheless, I'll keep the postings coming!

Here she is with fresh paint...
then assembled back into a roller on a powder coated suspension...
and next with the fenders, doors and lids installed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

137_3734.JPG

137_3736.JPG

137_3739.JPG

Last edited:
As 340john pointed out, something's missing in the latest pics above...
Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to take two steps forwards.
Follow along as we take sandpaper, a drill and a hole saw to that beautiful hood!

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is the 340 rebuild. As I mentioned, when we bought the car there was a partiallly torn down 273 under the hood, but the purchase also included the matching numbers 340 short block in desperate need of some love.

engine.jpg

-
Back