Decade Dart - father son '70 Dart 340 4 speed project

-
As 340john pointed out, something's missing in the latest pics above...
Sometimes you have to take one step backwards to take two steps forwards.
Follow along as we take sandpaper, a drill and a hole saw to that beautiful hood!

Nice, you gotta love the flat black hood on a 340 Dart.

Agreed. That option totally transforms the look of the car!

Well Swinger.... Love the story. Love the build. Love the color. Thats love cubed right there!! Great job.

Thanks, guys! I'm glad there's people out there enjoying this, so let's get to the next installment.

Our vision for this project from the start was to do basically a bone stock restoration, with a few planned exceptions. 1) This Dart would roll on radial tires. Dad and I previously put a set of reproduction bias-ply redlines on our Road Runner; they look great, but man they are downright scary to drive on! Not making that mistake again. 2) Electrical power would be provided by a sealed, maintenance free battery. No more sulfuric acid topping off, inferior reliability, etc. Ditto the Road Runner learning experience. 3) The interior, originally blue, would be changed to black, because a) we prefer the look, and b) our parts car had a very nice and complete black interior.

With this vision and only a 340 short block to begin with, we spent months hunting down the correct intake, carb, and a pair of X-heads for the build. The motor was built with just a few small performance tricks on the inside, but a basic factory stock appearance on the outside.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
The fresh 340 was brought back to life on a test stand, if only for a short time. Water vapor in the exhaust led to a partial tear down, and the discovery that some overly aggressive bowl porting had resulted in a crack between the exhaust port and water jacket. This is the exact point where strict originality of our build plan started to diverge…. Weighing all our options, we decided not to try to locate replacement X-head(s), but instead purchased a pair of Edelbrock aluminum heads. And since the top end was torn down and the heads upgraded, why not upgrade the rest of the top end too? Painting all those shiny new aluminum pieces hemi orange still keeps it kind-of original, right?? In its new dress the 340 was tested out on the dyno, where it produced a respectable 371 hp at 5800 rpm and 395 ft-lb at 4300 rpm.

These unplanned upgrades also halted our search for an original pair of hi-po exhaust manifolds, and opened the door for us to add a set of TTI headers to the build. With the rebuilt factory 4-speed behind it, the power plant was carefully dropped into the engine bay.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
My friends thought I was crazy when I considered painting my new air gap intake... I still might. I like that all original painted look.

Very nice-great choices man. Looks great in the bay and ought to motivate that little sucker around smartly!

I think it looks great. I agree about the bias plys, I had them on my Hemi Coronet R/T and it was scarey to drive.

My friends thought I was crazy when I considered painting my new air gap intake... I still might. I like that all original painted look.

Friends are great, but unless they're funding your project for you then the decisions are yours. I say if you wanna paint it orange then have at it!

Any progress lately?

I need to do some photo mining before I can continue to tell the story, and I haven't had time to do so. I can give a small teaser though.... Our donor car had a remarkably nice black interior. The door panels, back seat, and seat belts all cleaned up great, and the dash pad with only one very small crack was deemed usable as well. Too bad the headliner could not be swapped over because it was perfect. The drivers seat bottom was badly torn, so a new upholstry kit brought that piece back to new.

DSC00589.JPG

Last edited:
I've finally dug up a few more photos. The Dart's now sitting on a set of BFG radials on restored rallye wheels, minus the center caps. Door hardware is in, and the quarter panel emblems in place too.

rtside.jpg

Sound proofing is going way above and beyond factory specifications....

fatmat.jpg

After routing some wiring, and laying in the new carpet, the donor back seat with a little cleaning was good to go too.

backseattop.jpg

bkseat.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think I captured any in-process photos of the instrument cluster or steering wheel and column sub-assembly restorations. The gauges were all disassembled cleaned and painted as needed. The steering wheel had some minor cracks which were epoxy filled before sanding, priming and painting. The column was blown apart for cleaning and refinishing. Then, in went the front seat.

strwheel.jpg

frseat.jpg

-
Back