Decades old NEW Chevys...Respect the classics, man!

-
I saw that this morning. What a neat collection of cars. My dad would absolutely flip for that 58 cameo with 1 mile on it.

finally being a car guy from the midwest ive always heard of this place. owner did not sell anything.

It reminds me of a Jean Shepherd (author of A Christmas Story) story titled '43 Miles on the Gauge'. It's about a guy who would pick the most unique type of car once every few years and drive it from town to his barn and just park it. Shepherd ends the story by asking what cars would you have chosen?

I had a friend who found a 42 caddy convert with 20 miles on it. A young man bought it and drove it home, as he pulled in the drive he picked up the mail including his draft notice. He put the car up on blocks and went to war where he died. His parents never did anything with it and when they died the estate was auctioned off. the building the car was in was the last to go and it was august in OK so the auctioneer asked if it was ok to sell the contents sight unseen, and no one argued. My friend had peeked inside earlier but no one else knew it was there so he bought it for $150.00. Tires would still air up and hold! As he pushed the car back he was offered $9000.00 and he turned it down.

If that lady says "1 mile" again I'm gonna flip.....

What a killer collection, OMG....if I was rich I'd buy 'em all AND the old Chevy dealership building. I wonder if Jay Leno has his sights on any of these. But geez, can you ever drive any of them?

When I lived in NJ had a neighbor whose Dad had retired from GM. As a retirement gift he was given a never titled 63 SW Vette. Had under miles on the odometer. He had given it to his son, my neighbor, before leaving the country. He had no intentions of putting the car on the road so he was more than happy to leave it untitled. He had all the MCO's or whatever they are called so he could title it. It was like stepping back in time.

My friend's family has a 1950 Buick Roadmaster Estate Woody Wagon with 15 original miles on the odometer. It's under cover in a barn, covered in chicken **** and rabbit piss. It's in incredible shape, up on blocks, the wood is still all there, not rotted. They just don't have the mind to restore it. His grandfather won it at a county fair, and drove it home just to put it up on blocks.

I do respect classics.......but somehow, a late 70s wheezer corvette ain't a classic. It's just a low mileage piece of fiberglass with no power.

there is a guy here in Washington with every year Corvette, he responded to a add a few yrs ago, "67 Chevrolet, $500, the lady didn't tell him what kind of car it was or didn't know, he showed up, it was a 67 Corvette 427, 1200 miles on it, her son bought it before being shipped to Viet Nam and got killed, been sitting since then.

off topic maybe, on the other side of things though......when I was growing up I went passed this one house regularly, I remember this cool red car showing up at this one house one day.

I was probably 7 or so, it never moved that I saw. as I got older it still sat there, in Jr High, I went to look at it when I got into cars. It was a 70 454 SS, 4 speed. knocked, no body home.

the driveway was asphalt, and the tires where flat now, and the wheels were kinda sunk into the asphalt, windows all dirty.

Around high school time I went down the road and it was still there, faded, flat tires, all dirty from pollen.

I stopped and knocked again, nobody there.

right before I moved to California in 1990, I stopped by, car was there still, knocked on the door, old guy answered, about 80 yrs old.

I asked about the car, that I lived in the area growing up and I had seen the car always sitting, and if I could buy it.

He says "NO" Tired of yo ukids always asking" "it was my sons, he bought it and got sent to war the next week, never got to drive it, so no ones going to drive it" Its my memory of him and its going to sit right there"

I tried to appeal to him by saying " wouldn't it be a better memorial to him if was all restored and shiny again"? He said maybe, but he still didn't want to sell it.

I asked if I could look inside. Opened the door, it had 55 miles on it. bucket seat, 4 speed car, cowl inducted 454, popped the hood, and the engine was all dusty but everything was there. sweet car, its a shame it was just decaying away

Wow, that is amazing!!! It was bugging me to look at those cars all dirty like that, I would love to wash them up and make them look new again. Those cars will sell for some big $$$

Bu, bu, but it's a limited edition. LOL

Vettes are kinda like Mustangs......a special edition comes out about every other year. Sad thing is, if you wait a couple more years down the line, a base model mustang/vette will be even faster than that special edition.

About 6 or 7 years ago I considered buying a '55 Dodge Coronet that had 7.5 miles on it. It was still on MSO but it had sustained damage at the dealership and they never retailed it. I should have bought it but I had twice as many cars at the time as I have now and just couldn't see having one more project to sit around forever.

The Cameo at the Chevy dealership has damage on the roof, which may be why it was never sold.
Dallas

there is a guy here in Washington with every year Corvette, he responded to a add a few yrs ago, "67 Chevrolet, $500, the lady didn't tell him what kind of car it was or didn't know, he showed up, it was a 67 Corvette 427, 1200 miles on it, her son bought it before being shipped to Viet Nam and got killed, been sitting since then.

Yeah... I've heard this URBAN LEGEND several times from several guys that lived in different states...:tongue:

The way I see it,
a car is built to be driven.
To not drive it may as well be only a picture of it.
Everyone has their own view of these things.

and this is what happens when u cant your chevy indoor junyyard

-
Back