Decent, inexpensive tubeless patch/ plug kit?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Some time ago I acquired an old tire changer, an later, a nice bubble balancer. What is the current "state of the art" of tubeless patch materials, patches, plugs, brand, etc?

Years ago we sold Rema which were supposed to be good, I see they are still in b'ness

You want a patch from the inside of the tire, or plugs from the outside ? I bought a kit from my snap-on man, made by "black magic". Very nice plug kit, can find them online for pretty good price.

You want a patch from the inside of the tire, or plugs from the outside ?.

Either or both. Can't find anything on the magic kit, Googling that seems to be a bad as searching for "General Motors" LOL

What's wrong with Slime from Walmart plugs?

Plugging is all in the technique (kind of a lost art, too).

Get it all right and you're good to go...don't know what you're doing, and you could be in for trouble, or at least doing it again.

I would rather plug a tire than patch any day of the week. With a patch, you still have the hole left in the tire and dirt will get into the hole and eventually work the patch loose. It's not an if, but a when. With a plug, the plug gets hot and vulcanizes to become part of the tire. Plug it.

...and you don't have to dismount and rebalance the tire.

That's very similar to one I learned on. Those are good old machines.

its illegal for shops to plug tires around here now, what they use is the best of both worlds, a patch plug

No problem, I've been using my kit for a while now. Haven't had one plug fail !

Plugs should only be a temporary/emergency fix, left in too long and air can seep through the hole and get in between the plies and cause the tire to separate or go out of round. I never had trouble with a tire patch and would trust one anyday. But now they have a "plug-Patch" which is the best thing yet, combines both. Plug pulls through from the inside, then the patch seals against the inside as well, most tire shops now use these.

Attachments

• puncture_ill_sm.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 83
  • fig_4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 94
now they have a "plug-Patch" which is the best thing yet, combines both..

Any brands in mind? I'll have to look into 'em. I didn't know plugs were considered that bad, although I do know that patches were considered better.

I don't think I've ever had belts seperate from a plug...in 30 years.

I HAVE had several belts seperate from rotating Left to right side, or vice-versa.

...and there is way too much plug used in that example. I cut mine in half.

...also they didn't razor the excess sticking out beyond the tread.
That's a sure way to pull the plug out.

At least they got it in past the belts.

-
Back