Decent rate for head machine work?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I recently called a local machine shop to get an idea of the cost for inspecting and cleaning up my #302 heads before I put them on my 318. The guy said around $300 for inspection (including crack detection), surfacing (if the deck surface is warped), 3-angle valve job, and cleaning. Is this an acceptable price, or should I look elsewhere? I'm running out of money quickly and want to have enough left for an intake manifold and possibly exhaust system, as well as other odds and ends I might need as I start putting it back together.

i paid 300 for my job and im in CA.. And I had already had them surfaced somewere else for 50. He even checked my springs for free and painted the heads. And Added new valve seals

That's not out of line, but check a couple more shops around. And check with some folks that have used the shops and see if they recommend them. I had a local shop do some heads for me years ago that put in two bent valves. Luckily I did a leak down test on the engine when I put the heads on and found it before I had finished assembling the engine. The owner was a friend of mine and he replaced the valves and gave me new head gaskets. He said "you can't get good help anymore"

Mope- not shabby at all. The 308's for my 340 were $350 in a friend's shop in Seattle. It would have been $300, but the valve seals are more expensive than the 302's.

Cool, sounds good. I suppose this weekend I'll drive down there and have him take a look then. He seemed to be a knowledgeable guy, even recommended to check for cracks because heads from those years are prone to cracking.

The cut off title of your post reminded me of.....

IAASA_1.jpg

Yeah, I thought of that too and actually tried to make the title less prone to sexual innuendo. I'm cursed like that (thanks to my dad's humor) and find sexual references in everything.

-
Back