Deck Height Calculation

-

64physhy

Reaction score
Well, I finally got a 360 block (2 actually, one rebuilt shortblock, one in need of a rebuild). The rebuilt one is .040 over and the pistons look like just regular stock replacements with no valve reliefs. Just eyeballing it, it looks like they sit about .080 below deck (my 318 pistons sit .062 below, and these sit lower). I have a stroker crank I'm going to put in it, and going to get new rods and pistons. Also going to stud the mains. Do I need to wait until I get the rods and pistons to be able to figure the deck height? I've never really been in the guts of an engine before, just bolt ons and basic repairs, so need a little help with all the internal stuff. Thank you.

dont know what exactly parts you are going to use....but here is an idea

small block rods are 6.123 in length...unless you opt for small block chevy rod the rod length is not going to chain...6.123...I used scat 4340 I beam rods...no grinding or clearence problems..

pistons ....the KB forgered have a compression height of 1.465...so taking those numbers...

crank 1/2 stroke...is 2 inches..
rod lenght 6.123 inches
pistons ch 1.465

2 + 6.123 + 1.465 is 9.588...that is the deck height to get to zero.

machine shop will need to know what number you are shooting for and have them square the block...

I noticed Hughes has some rods that are 6.125. Any advantages or disadvantages of that, other than it's .002 less that I'd have to take off the deck?

I'm planning on using the Scat 4340 I-beams and these forged dished pistons http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...b3JnZWQ=&level3=NC4wNDAnIEJvcmU=&partid=23475 I think that's the same one's you're talking about with the 1.465 CH.
I have a cam; 239 int./246 [email protected], .484/.484 lift, but I'm going to use magnum heads, so that will raise the lift to about .516. I have pushrods to use with the magnum heads, just need valve springs.
I also have an Airgap intake and Dougs Headers.
I'll be getting an 8 3/4 with 3.91's or 4.10's. A guy I know has a complete one with 4.56's that I might grab and just change the gears out later.

dont know what exactly parts you are going to use....but here is an idea

small block rods are 6.123 in length...unless you opt for small block chevy rod the rod length is not going to chain...6.123...I used scat 4340 I beam rods...no grinding or clearence problems..

pistons ....the KB forgered have a compression height of 1.465...so taking those numbers...

crank 1/2 stroke...is 2 inches..
rod lenght 6.123 inches
pistons ch 1.465

2 + 6.123 + 1.465 is 9.588...that is the deck height to get to zero.

machine shop will need to know what number you are shooting for and have them square the block...

Agree. I run the KB745 step disk forged pistons in my 414 stroker and the deck height is 9.588 to get them to zero deck. If you look up that piston on KB's web site it says you need a 9.588 deck height for zero deck.

-
Back