deck height question-magnum motor

-

hemidart1

Reaction score
someone has warned me from using a cam with '500 lift in a '95 magnum motor because of possible issues with deck height while using stock pistons.
anyone else have this problem(of the valves coming too close to the piston) ?

Al.

I don't know about valve to piston problems but I do know that the valve guide to retainer might be a be a little to close at anything over .500 lift. Bob

I haven't heard of any issues with the piston to valve clearance. The issue I hear of the most is the valve guide problem. You can't excede .525 lift without getting the guides cut down. Also be sure to match your valve springs to the cam. You don't want to get into a coil bind situation. I am running a magnum headed LA engine.

Jack

I'm looking at a cam that has '525 lift and didn't want to run into any problems. I have called some cam manufacturers and they said that anything over that could be problem. It seems crazy to ask all these questions but I only want to build the motor once!
That's why I'd like to hear from as many guys on what exact combos they run.

thanks
Al.

okay...that's much needed advice.
A guy at Hughes told me that a good cam would be in the '512 lift range.

Al.

Stock lift for a '95 magnum is .458in and .467ex so I would say .500 would be ok but you should always check piston to valve and guide clearance. It's not that hard to do.

It wouldnt hurt to check it. I doudt there would be a problem. The pistons in the 318 are going to sit pretty deep in the hole. I know who said you will have a problem and his posts always get on my nerves, LOL

340mopar said:
Stock lift for a '95 magnum is .458in and .467ex so I would say .500 would be ok but you should always check piston to valve and guide clearance. It's not that hard to do.

I think you will find that a stock magnum V8 lift is right down at .4" certainly not over .450".

AdamR said:
It wouldnt hurt to check it. I doudt there would be a problem. The pistons in the 318 are going to sit pretty deep in the hole. I know who said you will have a problem and his posts always get on my nerves, LOL

FWIW, the 5.2l Magnum short block under the bench in my garage has pistons that are about 0.070" don in the hole.

dgc333 said:
I think you will find that a stock magnum V8 lift is right down at .4" certainly not over .450".

I think the 5.2s actually have a bigger cam then the 5.9s. I may be wrong but I swear Ive read that in a few places.

Not sure on what the lift is but the 300HP crate motor has a cam with lift that is barely over .4", can't imagine the stock motor to have lift in the .45"+ range.

According to my haynes book '94-'98 318's had 0.432' lift intake / exhaust and 360's had 0.410" lift intake / exhaust....... I must admit my '96 360 with carb runs really good but I am looking for a replacement cam for the motor to step it up a little...

-
Back