Deck Lid

-

moparmarkk

Reaction score
Hi, just installed a wing on dart sport, deck lid will not stay up, how do you adjust the bars that hold it up? Thanks ,Mark

I would start by removing the wing and hardware & then patch the holes.

Pretty easy fix. You will need an assistant. First, open the deck lid to the full open position. Have your assistant hold it in that position. Then carefully measure the distance from the highest point on the decklid to the trunk floor. Then carefully transfer that measurement to a 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 board. Cut the board and use it as a prop going forward.
Or you can do some fabricating and attach a lift support or 2 (you know the little shock absorber looking things that hold tailgates and hoods open on some cars). I have seen several posts on that.
The springs that hold your deck lid open will not support the extra weight.

Start by using the adjustment holes that will tension the bars the most. If that doesn't do it, use one of the suggestion above.

Oh, are you asking how to adjust the bars? I use a large screw driver to pry the bar out of one adjustment hole and on to the next one. This will likely chip the paint both on the bar and around the adjustment holes. If you tape both areas, it may help in keeping that to a minimum. I'm sure Chrysler had some sort of specialty tool for that job, but, I haven't seen one. I tried using an overhead cam spring compressor I had laying around, but, it wouldn't quite get the job done. It just wasn't strong enough to both lever the torsion bars and also pry them away from one hole and on to the next.

Oh, are you asking how to adjust the bars? I use a large screw driver to pry the bar out of one adjustment hole and on to the next one. This will likely chip the paint both on the bar and around the adjustment holes. If you tape both areas, it may help in keeping that to a minimum. I'm sure Chrysler had some sort of specialty tool for that job, but, I haven't seen one. I tried using an overhead cam spring compressor I had laying around, but, it wouldn't quite get the job done. It just wasn't strong enough to both lever the torsion bars and also pry them away from one hole and on to the next.
I did not realize that you could do that. I learned something new. Thanks.

As mentioned, do it with the lid all the way open to relieve some of the tension. Use the screwdriver to both take the tension of the torsion bar, and also to pry the adjuster end away from the hole in the bracket and into the new hole.

well that was a flop,not a one person job ,try again next weekend, thanks for the input,mark

-
Back