Decode my fender tag please

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
I ran the VIN DECODER V855xxxxxx and what I have is a 65 V8 Barracuda made at the LA plant.

The fender tag reads as follows: (The numbers are under ab, def, q,v, and z)

ab c def ghijklmnop q rstu v wxy z
30 55 1 3 2

The fender tag bottom lines reas:

SO NUMBER BDY TRM PAINT
318 00295 v89 p4x tt1 8

Might be easier with a picture. Most I can make out though but at a show with no info. If no one has by the time get home I get it for you.
Ab-30 is engine
C-5 is automatic

Thanks guys, got it all figured out except some of the trim codes, body color, engine, tranny and upholstery is right with what I have. The VIN tag does not appear to have any fasteners, just two clean holes where the rivets or screws should be. It must be glued on. I'm applying for title with the DMV and wanting to avoid any roadblocks if I can. It doesn't appear that the VIN and the fender tag has any corresponding information.

Is there someplace else on the car I can look for VIN verification? Or should I just quit worrying and let the state check it out?

The early VIN tag has no rivets just holes. It will have spot welds or adhesive holding it on the a pillar. No VIN anywhere on the body just a number on the core support to match the fender tag.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-staudinger64.html

You may want to make a copy of this page and take it with you when you go to register your car. CT gave me a big rash because the car's vin tag didn't have the rivets on my '65 Barracuda. They showed me their information sheet that said that there was a vin number stamped under the rear window, left side, about 10" from the front corner. They looked at the radiator support and found that the numbers didn't match and they wouldn't listen when I explained that that number was just a shipping number and the vin number was found only on that tag. I had to remove the left rear interior panel so they could crawl in there to find a number that didn't exist. An inspector was assigned to find a solution. After about 7 weeks of calls back and forth to him, and trying to convince him that there was not a problem, they wouldn't even accept the most recent title from the last state it was registered in. He actually came to my house to look at it again. He was about ready to say he wouldn't allow it to be registered when I pointed out that my '64 Barracuda was set up the same way and had been registered by me 6 years before. I showed him the car so he could see that it was the same as my '65 and presented him with the link above. It took another week but he finally allowed me to register the car but made me jump threw a few more hoops to make him happy. Sorry this is so long but I just hope you don't have to go through what I did.

you can order the build card from Chrysler historical for 67 and earlier cars. It will put ALL the pieces together for you as it will show the SO NUMBER and VIN separately but on the same card. Or look for the broadcast sheet if you haven't.
places it could be:
Taped to the back side / top of the glove box insert.
Under the front bucket seats in the springs
Inside the bucket seat backs
Under the rear seat bottom
In the rear seat back.
Under the package tray (speaker shelf)
Under the carpet

If you find it be very careful it is fragile.

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=501

Thanks Freds, Chryslerfat, Rocky and Roadcuda, I just want to get a clear title and trying to avoid any pitfalls. You guys are great and have been very helpful.

-
Back