Deep sump Pan

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i started making my deep sump oil pan tonight!!

should go from 2qts in sump to 4.5qts in the sump...

here are some pics

Attachments

• 1231101631.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 1231101635.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 548
  • 1231101645.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 1231101800a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 477
  • 1231101809.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 501
  • 1231101824.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 513
Nice work! Keep us posted.

i was planning on it

let me get this one done so i get a finish product in my hands and then we can go from there, would include pick up tube obviously...

Kool beans,I'll be keeping my eyes on this progress !!!:cheers:

i'll have to see if its cheaper for me to find the pans, make and ship them or for you to send the pan and then return ship it...

Guess I better start looking for another oil pan then !! Anyone know if all year slants are the same,or should I stick with a '69 pan ??

So, you are keeping the headers from hitting the road, by installing a sacrificial oil pan?

So, you are keeping the headers from hitting the road, by installing a sacrificial oil pan?

its only about two quarts (about 2") deeper than stock... and the headers are plenty high off the ground?? never have hit them even with how low i keep the front end with no bumpers...

will be raising it a little tho

If you're worried about it you can spot weld on a piece of 3/16 or even 1/4 plate on the oil pan bottom for a skid plate. Sacrificial oil pan. That was funny right there I don't care who you are.

Damn, I musta thrown out at least a dozen pans.........

well i did some more work tonite on the oil pan!

here is the progress...

pics are backwards in order...

Attachments

• 0107111750.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 0107111807.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 383
  • 0107111826.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 0107111833.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 0107111833a.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 0107111836.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 396
That's lookin good.

thx! i almost forgot to trim the one side again... i was looking at it and im thinking... there should be more angle to that sump... duh!

im gonna get kicked for asking but that is the tilt angle on the slant... so i can make the bottom of the pan 0* to the ground...

Looks great.

Have you thought about taking a rear sump truck pan, cutting off the sump and welding it onto a car pan? Just a thought, they are pretty deep and I would think that they would match up.

Looking good but i did spot that the angle is wrong,just measure from your cut on the pan.Think the angle is 30 degrees.Took me two pans to get it right.My first one was soo bad I would have to say it was the worst thing I ever built.These pans with the angle are very hard to modify and make look good.Mark

Looks great.

Have you thought about taking a rear sump truck pan, cutting off the sump and welding it onto a car pan? Just a thought, they are pretty deep and I would think that they would match up.

no i have not... i dont think there is enough clearance between the center link and the pan for that...

Looking good but i did spot that the angle is wrong,just measure from your cut on the pan.Think the angle is 30 degrees.Took me two pans to get it right.My first one was soo bad I would have to say it was the worst thing I ever built.These pans with the angle are very hard to modify and make look good.Mark

yea... i set the pan bottom on the new sump sides and i went... thats not right...

so 30* i can do that! thanks madmax!

I didn't make it very clear. What I meant was cut the sump off a truck pan and weld it to the center of the car pan, extending the car sump. Basically if the sump dimensions are the same you would have the same outcome as what you are doing by extending the car sump with half the work and no guess work for the correct angle. By doing this you can add up to double the amount of oil capacity depending on how much you trim off the truck sump.

It works in my mind perfectly, I just have to set a car pan and a truck pan next to each other and do some measuring to make sure.

I didn't make it very clear. What I meant was cut the sump off a truck pan and weld it to the center of the car pan, extending the car sump. Basically if the sump dimensions are the same you would have the same outcome as what you are doing by extending the car sump with half the work and no guess work for the correct angle. By doing this you can add up to double the amount of oil capacity depending on how much you trim off the truck sump.

It works in my mind perfectly, I just have to set a car pan and a truck pan next to each other and do some measuring to make sure.

yea that might work, just use a strip of metal all the way around and it would just do this (___) better oil control

Here is one I'm making for a friend of mine. Added 2.9". Race only vehicle. 8qt in the sump alone (see floating cap).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 345
yep max it was 30*

here is more i did on the pan today!

got the sump welded on, test fit on motor, and the seams leaded... have a couple of leaks that i need to touch up but other than that its ready for blasting, epoxy, and internal baffles

Attachments

• 0108111543.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 0108111102a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 0108111004.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 361
  • 0108110941.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 0108111547a.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 309
-