Deference between points Plug wires, and electronic plug wires?????

-

Reaction score
Can any one tell me the deference between points ignition plug wires and electronic ignition plug wires?? I was wanting to get a set of the restoration plug wires for my dart, but Year One states that there are "only for points type ignition". And I have electronic ignition. I sure do not see what the deference would be, but maybe I am missing something?? When I converted to electronic I did not change the plug wires and it worked just fine. Thanks for any input!

I run mopar O.E. black wires on my superbird, with a pertronix set-up, and never had an issue.

The very early graphite wires are prone to leaks. I read somewhere that plug wires shorted to exhaust manifolds is what killed the lean burn ignition boxes back in their day. I wouldn't want the early wire type with any ignition system..

i have never understood what difference it has ever made. i have always used all types of wires with all types of ignition systems. probably the type of core or whatnot. im sure there is some high tech explanation, but has made no difference in anything i have ever ran.

Kinda what I was thinking. I figure the new reproductions must be made of better modern materials. Just with the correct original markings.

Some of the high energy systems do NOT recommend "solid core" wires

http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3302

=======================================================================
Solid Core Wires: You cannot run Solid Core Spark Plug Wires with an MSD Ignition Control. Solid Core wires do not suppress any Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics or rev limiters on your vehicle. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wire MUST be used.
=======================================================================

The very early graphite wires are prone to leaks. I read somewhere that plug wires shorted to exhaust manifolds is what killed the lean burn ignition boxes back in their day. I wouldn't want the early wire type with any ignition system..

Actually, shorting them is not what hurts. OPENS is what hurts, so you take an inCREDIBLY hot "oversmogged" engine, and I'm guessing those still ran 7mm wires, all you need is for one to start burning open inside, and you have a "lightning bolt" looking for a place to reflect back -- right into the ignition module.

Guys DO NOT EVER run an electronic ignition with one or more plugs/ wires unhooked. unless you ground them.

Actually, shorting them is not what hurts. OPENS is what hurts, so you take an inCREDIBLY hot "oversmogged" engine, and I'm guessing those still ran 7mm wires, all you need is for one to start burning open inside, and you have a "lightning bolt" looking for a place to reflect back -- right into the ignition module.

Guys DO NOT EVER run an electronic ignition with one or more plugs/ wires unhooked. unless you ground them.

I guess it was "fell off" plug wires that killed those lean burn boxes. Proves again my memory sux.

thank you for that piece of information

x2,...I've heard that newer systems run higher voltages, so sometimes the older style wires get "electrical holes" blown in them,...more of a problem with GM HEI ignitions I'm told,...

-
Back