Defroster hoses

-
If you email nostalgic air parts and ask for a USPS shipping cost it will be substantially less.

The nice thing is, the 2” hose fits on the heater box outlet snugly, and the 2.5” hose fits the slightly smaller outlet with enough interference that it would probably stay on by itself. A zip tie will secure it for sure.

You put the larger 2.5 hose on the smaller heater box outlet?
I want to order these, so tired of no defrost, but I think I am missing something here.
From the vent to the heater, this is my understanding of what you did, but it doesn't sound right. Can you clarify please?
2.5 to 2.25 - you ran 2.5" hose to reducer, to 2" hose, to the 2.25" heater outlet.
2.5 to 2 - you ran 2.5" hose to the 2" heater outlet.

Maybe I'm just too tired right now.

What I meant by "slightly smaller" heater outlet was in reference to the 2.5" hose.

So, on the driver's side vent: 2.5" hose from vent down to 2.25" outlet on box (which, if I recall, is also on the left). It's not a tight fit but pretty good by itself. The ribbing on the duct hose creates the interference.

On the passenger side: 2.5" hose from vent to adaptor. 2" hose from adaptor down to 2" outlet on box. Nice snug fit.

I used nylon ties on the vents and adaptor to hold everything securely.

Thanks for the info on the ducts ,but the $70 shipping fee is a little too much. Before I do any thing else I might try NAPA for 2" emission control duct hoses first.

Its not a perfect fit but I use the engine cooling air ducts from 60's vw beetle. Super cheap and functional.

Ah yes... the old Defroster Duct dance! Lots of good suggestions here. Good job everybody. As soon as I do this fix again I will update with part numbers and such from local parts stores.

Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back