Degree New Comp Cams Cam

-

rklein383

Reaction score
I have installed my new Comp Cams High Energy camshaft. The instructions state that Comp Cams grinds most of these cams 4 degrees advanced.

I check my cam centerline. It is 102 degrees. The cam card says the cam centerline is 106 degrees. Since this is 4 degrees advanced, is this right? Or should it be right at 106?

I have run out of time tonight. Tomorrow I plan on verifying that I have TDC exactly right and basically repeat the whole procedure.

Rod

If you don't want to revel exactly which cam it is, could you give the lobe separation. It sounds like it is now 8 degrees advanced. The link in the post is for a 4.0 Jeep cam.

It is a 268H-10
106 centerline
110 lobe separation

From what I understand, the centerline is usually referenced advanced/retarded from the LSA. A lot of the comp stuff is on a 110 LSA so 106 centerline is called 4 degrees advanced.

I have installed my new Comp Cams High Energy camshaft. The instructions state that Comp Cams grinds most of these cams 4 degrees advanced.

I check my cam centerline. It is 102 degrees. The cam card says the cam centerline is 106 degrees. Since this is 4 degrees advanced, is this right? Or should it be right at 106?

I have run out of time tonight. Tomorrow I plan on verifying that I have TDC exactly right and basically repeat the whole procedure.

Rod

You need to back it up 4* to put it where comp wants it.

FWIW, when these cam guys talk about 4* advance ground into the cam, all that means is instead of needing offset keys or bushings, when you install the cam "dot to dot" it SHOULD be 4* ahead of LSA. In reality, tolerance stack up usually means it won't come out correct. So "4* advance" ground into a cam is just not a performance thing. It just hopefully makes it somewhat easier to degree in.

@106 it is 4 degrees advanced.

From what I understand, the centerline is usually referenced advanced/retarded from the LSA. A lot of the comp stuff is on a 110 LSA so 106 centerline is called 4 degrees advanced.

You need to back it up 4* to put it where comp wants it.

FWIW, when these cam guys talk about 4* advance ground into the cam, all that means is instead of needing offset keys or bushings, when you install the cam "dot to dot" it SHOULD be 4* ahead of LSA. In reality, tolerance stack up usually means it won't come out correct. So "4* advance" ground into a cam is just not a performance thing. It just hopefully makes it somewhat easier to degree in.

Yes, yes, yes........thank you gentlemen.

Update: Re-did my cam degreeing and all checked out at 105.5 degrees. Maybe I bumped my pointer... don't know. Close enough for government work as the spec is 106 degrees.

Thanks for the responses.

may I suggest to build a pointer out of aluminum sheet metal. about 1 1/2" wide bent at a 90 at the block with one hole to bolt it down. long enough to reach up to the degree wheel and bent at a 90 and cut to a point. now if you bump it, it will stay put unlike one made of wire. plus when needing that one or two degrees to get tdc perfect you can twist it a tad and it will stay put.

may I suggest to build a pointer out of aluminum sheet metal. about 1 1/2" wide bent at a 90 at the block with one hole to bolt it down. long enough to reach up to the degree wheel and bent at a 90 and cut to a point. now if you bump it, it will stay put unlike one made of wire. plus when needing that one or two degrees to get tdc perfect you can twist it a tad and it will stay put.

Next time. Good tip.

-
Back