"Degree" Your Own Stock Small Block Harmonic Balancer

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I measured the circumference of my 318 balancer which worked out to 22 5/8" or 22 10/16" or 22 times 16 plus 10 = 362 sixteenths of an inch. Round off 362 to 360 and divide by 360 = 1. So each degree approximates 1/16" which makes it real easy.

So I can make various timing marks on the balancer just by using 1/16" for each degree. I plan to make marks for 0, 5, 10, 15 and 35 BTDC (35 for total advance desired). Don't really need the timing tapes they sell.

if you want super accurate take it to a machine shop and have them do it on a mill / lath

alternately you could use the OEM markings and index from there

What do you get for the diameter? Your numbers come out to be 7.20176 I thought they were 7.25 dia

anyway I like what you are thinking.

I wrapped blue masking tape all around the balancer, removed it and stuck it down on a flat surface, then with a tape measure got the circumference measurement. Close enough for my work, I guess.

Close enough for my work, I guess.
probably, I agree. looks like 0.25 deg in 35 deg difference.

I did the same measurement on my 67 dart but came up with a larger number that worked out to 7.25 dia

You can double check your accuracy a number of ways. I use dividers, that is, once I get say, 20* marks, I use dividers to do the "10's" and you can reverse the dividers from each 20 mark to see if they land in the same place

You know how to use a piston stop? You can check the 90 marks same way as you did TDC with a stop to see that they are accurate---if you go that far. Or just "do" the 90 points with a piston stop. Check tdc. Now use dividers to divide the 90 and of course that gives you 45 and you can use that as yet another checkpoint

Frankly, I'm thinkin 1* accuracy is as close as you need.

First one I ever did was in the early 70's---the 340 that got swapped into the 70 RR --and I still have that balancer--somewhere, as well as most of the rest of the engine.

-
Back