Degreeing a Cam Shaft

-
....and you "know" you're off 5 degrees HOW? For me, it's not open for debate. I based my recommendation on my opinion and personal experience. In other words, how I would do and have done it. So an argument here is pointless, although I certainly appreciate you breakin your cherry to point it out.
The 5° measurement is worst cast. I have no cherry to break and you're coming across pretty defensive. I'm just pointing out that you can eyeball it and have results that are 99.6% as accurate as a $$$ tool.

So yeah if you can't eyeball 5° (or better) then get a tool that will do it for you.

The 5° measurement is worst cast. I have no cherry to break and you're coming across pretty defensive. I'm just pointing out that you can eyeball it and have results that are 99.6% as accurate as a $$$ tool.

So yeah if you can't eyeball 5° (or better) then get a tool that will do it for you.
When your first post is trying to pick an argument, instead of introducing yourself in the welcome wagon like most normal members, yeah, maybe I am defensive. When it comes to camshaft timing, I choose not to "eyeball".

When your first post is trying to pick an argument, instead of introducing yourself in the welcome wagon like most normal members, yeah, maybe I am defensive. When it comes to camshaft timing, I choose not to "eyeball".
Ok, I didn't introduce myself in the welcome wagon way (I didn't realize it was "expected"). I just got on and was reading posts to get a feel of the community. You're posting questions and stating that the dial indicator needs to be "dead perfect" and that there is only one "perfect" way to do it. All I did was point out a fact and you get upset and have to throw out an insult.

I was being productive to the forum showing that if one can eye-ball in the throw of the dial indicator, the results will be indistinguishable from "dead perfect".

Ok, I didn't introduce myself in the welcome wagon way (I didn't realize it was "expected"). I just got on and was reading posts to get a feel of the community. You're posting questions and stating that the dial indicator needs to be "dead perfect" and that there is only one "perfect" way to do it. All I did was point out a fact and you get upset and have to throw out an insult.

I was being productive to the forum showing that if one can eye-ball in the throw of the dial indicator, the results will be indistinguishable from "dead perfect".
No worries. We all do things differently. I prefer to be as accurate as possible, because there is a human involved. There was no insult. My apologies if you took it the wrong way.

RustyRatRod said "although I certainly appreciate you breakin your cherry to point it out."
Sounds like an insult unless I'm missing something.

The angle is irrelevant if you are using the same reading on the dial indicator for opening and closing. If one reads 2 open and 40 close with it perfectly in line and the off angle one reads 1 and 39... it's still a 109CL

The math doesn't care.

Hey, not to get in the middle of the mud slinging but I have a question.
When do you read the peak on a ramp?
By that I mean, right when it reaches the peak, when it's at the peak or right when the indicator starts back down. On my experience there seems to be a few degrees when the lifter hits the side, top and back side of the lobe.
What do you guys measure, or how do you call the number?

I dismantled my hydraulic tappet and filled it with bee bees to remove the drain down and then compared it to placing the dial indicator on the edge of the tappet (which doesn't depress) to make sure I got an accurate reading. Solid reading were identical.

The angle is irrelevant if you are using the same reading on the dial indicator for opening and closing. If one reads 2 open and 40 close with it perfectly in line and the off angle one reads 1 and 39... it's still a 109CL

The math doesn't care.
If the dial indicator is grossly off, yes you will get the same centerline but your duration at 0.050" will be less then what is on the cam card. The max lift will also be reduced and then you question the grind of the camshaft.

Hey, not to get in the middle of the mud slinging but I have a question.
When do you read the peak on a ramp?
By that I mean, right when it reaches the peak, when it's at the peak or right when the indicator starts back down. On my experience there seems to be a few degrees when the lifter hits the side, top and back side of the lobe.
What do you guys measure, or how do you call the number?
As long as the cam lobe has a symmetrical grind, max lift should be at the centerline of the lobe.

RustyRatRod said "although I certainly appreciate you breakin your cherry to point it out."
Sounds like an insult unless I'm missing something.
No. It means I appreciate him giving his first post to argue with me. Does anybody not know what cherry means anymore? First time for doing something. Get it?

And hay yall, I gave my OPINION on how "I" get the job done. Don't want to spend the money on the correct tool? I don't really care. All I know is, my car runs good.

And hay yall, I gave my OPINION on how "I" get the job done. Don't want to spend the money on the correct tool? I don't really care. All I know is, my car runs good.
Who cares what you have to say, anyway. lol :D

Don't get too upset that Rusty can't eyeball things he only has one.(a polecat or something like that got the other one when he was young) Besides that he's a curmudgeon.

Some people will argue just to argue.

Degreeing = cam relationship to crankshaft. The rest is meh... Have at it.

No. It means I appreciate him giving his first post to argue with me. Does anybody not know what cherry means anymore? First time for doing something. Get it?
I'd call it a discussion, you elevated it. Bust your cherry means to break your hyman (female) so I took it as you calling me a ***** for getting her hyman broken after the first encounter with a *****.

I'd call it a discussion, you elevated it. Bust your cherry means to break your hyman (female) so I took it as you calling me a ***** for getting her hyman broken after the first encounter with a *****.
How old are you? You’ve never heard that saying before?

:lol:Did you learn that in sex ed ? What happens if both parties are virgins?
There's a first time for everything. lol

How old are you? You’ve never heard that saying before?
54 and RustyRatRod comes across very crotchety so I took it as an insult directed at me. I wasn't insulted, he'd have to do a lot more than that. A lot of meaning is lost in written (typed) communication.

Now I get it, busted cherry was directed toward my first post. He was vague and I misunderstood his slang.

I'd say how about we move onto the OP question.

Last edited:
54 and RustyRatRod comes across very crotchety so I took it as an insult directed at me. I wasn't insulted, he'd have to do a lot more than that. A lot of meaning is lost in written (typed) communication.

Now I get it, busted cherry was directed toward my first post. He was vague and I misunderstood his slang.
He is crotchety, but he means well. I was just curious because I work with a younger guy who never understands stuff like that. I figured it was a miscommunication.

He is crotchety, but he means well. I was just curious because I work with a younger guy who never understands stuff like that. I figured it was a miscommunication
You won't find a better guy than Rusty.
I really don't know anyone in the forum that I wouldn't or couldn't get along with.
It might take a thrown ball peen hammer, but we'd get along.:D

You won't find a better guy than Rusty.
I really don't know anyone in the forum that I wouldn't or couldn't get along with.
It might take a thrown ball peen hammer, but we'd get along.:D

Why you want to mess up a perfectly good ball peen?

Get over it. I told you how I meant it. I even apologized. I'm not gettin the knee pads out.

-
Back