right??????

thanks for for help

getting ready to order the parts to degree the mp 509 cam
in my 360 all ready have the degree wheel,stop and dial gauge

from what i understand should only need the offset key package
right??????

thanks for for help

Yes:thumblef:

I have degree several cam's. Not one of them was correct.
and all of them had the true roller timing sets.

There is a lot of reason why it won't be as the cam manufacture spec's it at.
1 quick reason is...........
Crank "line bored" will cause a brand new timing chain to have slack and there for not be correct with a straight up key way.

same apply if the cam bore is worked over.

What if chry mist the spec by a few thousands............

It will run just fine if you don't degree the cam
But you will get the most of the cam if you do.

I have also degree'd several cams and about 20% of them come out within 1 degree which is about as close as you can get it. Your right there are a lot of variables and just because a timing set is labeled a true roller doesn't mean anything either. A couple yrs. ago I rounded up 5 different timing sets that were true roller's and only 1 set (Cloyes) was within 1 degree. The others ranged from being off by 2 degrees to as much as 5 degrees.

Every cam I have ever installed, (many many many) have needed some kinda attention, most like 2*, bu tstill, 2* in the wrong direction makes a difference.

I have also degree'd several cams and about 20% of them come out within 1 degree which is about as close as you can get it. Your right there are a lot of variables and just because a timing set is labeled a true roller doesn't mean anything either. A couple yrs. ago I rounded up 5 different timing sets that were true roller's and only 1 set (Cloyes) was within 1 degree. The others ranged from being off by 2 degrees to as much as 5 degrees.

Fishy, wasn't trying to pock at you or start a ***** session here.

I don't consider it degreed until it's with in .5 of a degree..........even though every instruction sheet i have read said "ONE" DEGREE OF TIMING, WILL NOT, BE SEEN IN PERFORMANCE!

I'm just anal that way:D

I don't consider it degreed until it's with in .5 of a degree..........even though every instruction sheet i have read said "ONE" DEGREE OF TIMING, WILL NOT, BE SEEN IN PERFORMANCE!

YOUR HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel4:

Remember too, most camshaft grinders grind 4* advance INTO the camshaft. I cannot remember if whomever grinds the MP cams does that or not. I would certainly try to find out.

thanks for the input ,
i've ran this cam before in the same setup (x heads ,kb190s )
in my car before and it ran very well (12.5ish )
just trying to pick up a few ponies
agin thanks

I've always had to compromise when I do a cam seems like my last MP cam had a 108 centerline and using the offset dowels and the different bottom keyways I had at my disposal I had only 2 choices of advancing the cam. I could either get 107.5 or 105 and I left it at 107.5 .

I didn't think anything about it Cudafever. I'm pretty anal about things too and I'd love to get it within 1/2 degree every time too but a lot of the time it's impossible unless your dealing with an infinitely adjustable top timing gear.

I've got a 508 Mopar cam. It is a VERY stout cam in a 360. It takes some compression and gears to really make it work though.

-
Back