Del, non Mopar alternator question please.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Del, I am trying to figure out how to convert a 99 Ford Explorer alternator to a one wire. I know you are not crazy about that, but it will help simplify things for ME greatly. lol I was wondering if you can tell from this diagram how I can go about doing this? It is the 5.0 alternator. Thank you.

ALTERNATOR DIAGRAM.gif

Rob you may or may not create an error in the computer I don't know. I guess you are asking which wire? The output is the one at the top, C114. That should be the largest wire. I would guess just safe the rest of them off. If the wiring is confusing, I don't know why you can't safe ALL of them off and add a new charge wire direct from alternator to battery. That might actually be a good idea, because a "one wire" NEEDS a big charge wire. This is because the voltage sense is on that wire, and you don't want ANY drop, esp with larger output units

Kind of like this. :D
Your charge idiot light on the dash won't work any more though.

Alt.jpg

My apologies. This is for my 1976 Mercury Bobcat. I am using the 1999 Explorer accessory drive, since it is very short and will give the most room between the water pump and radiator. There is no computer involved. I am sorry. I should have made that clear.

You are going to need the "a" terminal of field supplied by C115, or no worky. Might also need the charge indicator, or 470 Ohm resistor fed by run circuit. I am guessing that the 470 Ohm provides bias for charge enable, if bulb is out.

I will need those "where" exactly? Thanks.

It looks like connector C121 A, fed to battery by 30A fuse. C121 1 is indicator circuit, feed it from Mopar IGN1.
If not 5.0 alternator, you will need C120 circuit. It goes to C121 terminal 3.

Ford makes weird, hard to follow schematics.

How does Mopar enter into this? This is going into a 1976 Mercury Bobcat.

My mistake, thought Bobcat alternator part on Mopar.
That schematic you provided has the details you need. Connect C114, C120, C121A as shown, ground alternator you will be good to go.

That is not 1 wire but, the regulator is internal.

Last edited:
My mistake, thought Bobcat alternator part on Mopar.
That schematic you provided has the details you need. Connect C114, C120, C121A as shown, ground alternator you will be good to go.

That is not 1 wire but, the regulator is internal.

It is my fault. I need to be clearer than mud, like I always fuss at people about. The alternator is a 1999 Explorer and it is going on a 99 5.0 into a 76 Mercury Bobcat. I am using the Explorer alternator, because the Explorer water pump, balancer and alternator bracket set the belt drive back towards the engine over 2"compared to Fox Mustang stuff. That's valuable room I NEED in this small engine bay.

I did find this this morning though on an early Bronco forum. I think this will work.
4G ALTERNATOR WIRING.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good. It leaves out the phase signal to unused terminal between yellow and green, but that may be OK, since the indicator is wired.

The single wire concept has the need to know the alternator is spinning, or ignition "on" to energize the field that is always wired hot. The indicator "hot to run", or the phase sense, enables regulator in to action.

-
Back