Deleting egr port

-

Daz570

Thread Inturpreter
Reaction score
What have you guys used on a standard cast head to blank the egr port?

I'm just thinking a 2 part metal or hard silicone based compound but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had a tried and true trick.

Thanks in advance.

i think your talking about the heat riser passage (i call it) i cut thin sheet metal like a old coffee can glue it down with sealer and bolt the manifold on. dont make it too thin it will blow out

If you are talking about the heat crossover they make gaskets sets to blank that out.

They blocked off the egr for a while on the minivans before 2001 with plates from the factory. They may fit your application. Check out dealer parts dept and ask to see picture of the egr port block off plates.

I think he's talking about blocking the heat riser from the exhaust port side, probably some kind of high temp epoxy would be my guess.

yes, that's the one

it's on a set of 2658920 273/318 heads (66-67)

which suprises me a bit, i wasn't expecting to see one in a 60's head

were there earlier heads that did not incorporate it I should be keeping an eye out for?

cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 348
What you show there has nothing to do with EGR

EGR was not used until 72?

Egr in the early days (72) had no external control valve, but was injected into the intake manifold through "floor jets" in the intake, which went down into the crossover under the intake

Later "smog" heads for a smog pump had ports drilled into the exhaust port area, the pump injecting fresh air AFTER the exhaust valves.

Early EGR:

29w4wtz.jpg

308ytj8.jpg

In the photo below, which is too large to post here, the smog pump port is the hole under the exhaust port

http://www.headbytes.com/images/340_X_mopar.JPG

From what I hear it doesn't effect exhaust flow much, maybe only in a max effort race engine it may be worth it. What are you building?

I screwed a plug into the floor jet on the /6 in the 73. I would have done the same thing on the 318 in the 72, but when I went to the 4-bbl, I went with a non-EGR manifold. Both cars are over 25 years old and are exempt from emissions compliance rules.

-
Back