delima on what engine to go with....poll

what engine would you build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
So this is a race car now, or still to be built? If it's a race car that can be driven I'm thinking it will be very hard to do. A friend races in the PSCA with a Mustang. BIllet block, billet heads, etc. You want reliable at the power levels you're talking I maintain a 400 block wont do it reliably in a heavy car (meaning 7.99 cage, street brakes, street wheels, DOT equipment, etc) You'd do much better to start with a KB if you can get one. Different stroke for different folks, but I wouldnt throw good money to make a moderate block as good as you can for four figure power levels. They are the best mopar made, but they simply arent that good.

streetable 1000-1500 hp turbo cars is cake. I have seen 1000 hp stock block Rb blocks. fill them girdle them stud them.. who knows???

Based on the overall costs of everything....and your foot in the door (on already having A BLOCK) this is almost a No-Brainer.

All 400's are "smog era" engines.....low Compression, Big Bore, Short Stroke....ect.....the compression needs to stay the same @ 8.5:1, but add a bigger cam, with more lift and duration, ARP Head Studs....And it will be nearly Boost ready.

To reach 1000whp with a single turbo....the turbo would need to be Larger than 90mm on the exducer of the turbine wheel....so figure a 106mm Compressor Large Frame T6 turbocharger....the engine would need to be setup to optimize the new flow, and should be good for 400hp NA before being boosted 20+ psi....for the 1500 crank hp it will have the ability to spew....and at least (1) 50mm wastegate.

It will need a minimum of 5" exhaust after the turbo.

I vote Single turbo 400 Bigblock...hands down.

I think you have inducer and exducer backwards. The inlet needs to be 88mm to run 4.99 in the 1/8th. However as cubic inch goes up and power ability of that turbo goes down. With a bigger motor id need a g trim large frame turbo, true. The class id like to run is x275, look it up. They are right at that et and power level, but with small blocks. That is why the newgen is so appealing. Nobody has done it yet. Hence my dilemma. Here they have an unlimited class with guys over 2000+whp. I don't want to spend to compete with that. So plan b is in order.

Its ok....You misunderstood me.

The largest TURBINE EXDUCER you CAN GET in T4 is 90mm
With the 88mm Compressor INducer....

That T4 turbo will be the bottom end spectrum of a High Output Single Turbo Bigblock.

It would run...and run ok at that, but would just be spun off the useable map far too early for the lungs of a Mopar BB.

I was suggesting a Precision Turbo 106mm compressor as the starting point for a person wanting Mid 8 second kind of power.

:hiding:

Exactly.....I would run a super-light, aluminum headed Stock CR 360 roller cam block....with big boost and a 88mm+ turbo.....:shock:

Imagine the power / weight then! :thumblef:

Its ok....You misunderstood me.

The largest TURBINE EXDUCER you CAN GET in T4 is 90mm
With the 88mm Compressor INducer....

That T4 turbo will be the bottom end spectrum of a High Output Single Turbo Bigblock.

It would run...and run ok at that, but would just be spun off the useable map far too early for the lungs of a Mopar BB.

I was suggesting a Precision Turbo 106mm compressor as the starting point for a person wanting Mid 8 second kind of power.

:hiding:

A t4 turbo wasn't even a consideration. Only a large frame turbo here. I had a 106, but it was a mammoth of a piece. Id like to run a pt91.5(same physical sizes as a 106) if it would be allowed in the x275 classes. But it is an 88mm max size class and a few have been 4.90's with one. I think I'm capable to achieving the same or close to. I've got the car with good parts to do so started already. It's just a matter if a glide can bolt up to one or not? I'm really leaning towards the newgen, but its my flavor of the month choice at this point. If I could have just stuck with one engine. it would have a built motor already.

I agree with Prine, go with the 400 B block. Commit to it and go. If it does not make it to where you want to go, it is (relatively speaking) a budget build. If it doesn't meet the goals, but still puts up some stoopid times, I am sure it could be sold, recoup some of your investment, and go for the Hemi.

The nature of being the first or early people into a segment, is there is not ALOT of people you can go to for input.

I do think it would be fun for you to be at or better then the gazillion dollar super professional build of Kurt Busch's Challenger. That would be an article I would love to read.

You ever get the floors welded in yet?

I agree with Prine, go with the 400 B block. Commit to it and go. If it does not make it to where you want to go, it is (relatively speaking) a budget build. If it doesn't meet the goals, but still puts up some stoopid times, I am sure it could be sold, recoup some of your investment, and go for the Hemi.

The nature of being the first or early people into a segment, is there is not ALOT of people you can go to for input.

I do think it would be fun for you to be at or better then the gazillion dollar super professional build of Kurt Busch's Challenger. That would be an article I would love to read.

You ever get the floors welded in yet?

Floors are on the way, neighbor is going to help me and teach me to weld. It is his profession. He also owns a tig and a 70 nova. So I'm good to go now.

Dude. What's with the insult. I stand by what I said. Anyone who knows anything about factory 400 blocks knows their limits. Obviously you don't. You should follow your own advice. It would be a shame to have someone throw away their money based on your "knowledge".

Dude. What's with the insult. I stand by what I said. Anyone who knows anything about factory 400 blocks knows their limits. Obviously you don't. You should follow your own advice. It would be a shame to have someone throw away their money based on your "knowledge".

Because you obviously dont know!!! Since you don't get it. it shows you don't know even more clear. I ll give you some help, 440source.com. give it a read. Several people including a few in this very thread. have been way over your power numbers with stock b blocks. Now go away and learn the truth, not hearsay.

Yah. I guess Andy and all of the professional engine builders are wrong and you're right.
What a joke. Go on believing I don't care. And I've seen the pictures on 440 source, etc. Nothing new.
So don't go asking for advice and then slam the people who are trying to help you. If you know so much, why are you asking? I'm done with you.

Yah. I guess Andy and all of the professional engine builders are wrong and you're right.
What a joke. Go on believing I don't care. And I've seen the pictures on 440 source, etc. Nothing new.
So don't go asking for advice and then slam the people who are trying to help you. If you know so much, why are you asking? I'm done with you.

Who is Andy? Who are these professional engine builders? I think you have suggested limits and actual limits confusing you? In the turbo world. the limits are much much higher then you claim or know anything about. seriously, if you have not pushed one or know somebody personally who has. you will never believe me or anyone else. go back to where you came from.

-
Back