Demon Electrical Issues

-

Gibber

Reaction score
Im just finishing putting my 71 Demon 340 back together and am going thru some electrical troubles, here is the sequence of events:

First put the car back on the road, the body shop put all the lights,bumpers, etc back on except for the rally cluster. I installed that.

At first, everything worked (feedback thru turn signal indicators with park lights on because the body shop guys forgot to ground the park light housings, fixed that) except the RH turn signal indicator light in the dash was out. Fixed the socket and everything worked, hazard flashers, brake lights, turn signals.

Went out today to do some underhood detailing and started the car up. The LH turn signal worked fine, the RH turn signal, no flasher sound, the ammeter cycled C to D and back to C rapidly. Then, smoke! From the turn signal switch I think, now of course no brake lights, flashers, or turn signals.

I ordered a new switch, but wondering what else I might be missing. I'm sure I blew a fuse as no dome light now either. Headlights and park lights all still work.

I'm thinking I moved a few sections of the engine harness out of the way to paint, wonder if I grounded something out...ahh, love electrical problems! Oh wait...no...ha...

Thanks in advance,

Mark

About all you can do is get a diagram and start in. "They" make a handy device for finding shorts---consists of a current limiter and essentially a circuit breaker, and a ------compass------ You set up the shorted circuit powered through the test device, and it sits there and makes/ breaks. You run the compass (detector) device along the harness and the short will give you an interrupt in the meter action

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=637&q=short+finder&oq=short+finder&aq=f&aqi=g3g-v7&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=973889l975551l0l975667l12l9l0l0l0l0l317l2185l0.3.4.2l9"]short finder - Google Search[/ame]

Another help I find is to "rig" a heavy lamp bulb to limit current. Depending on what you are trying to do, tail/ stop lamps, sometimes headlamps. You can just put one in series with the battery ground, and no matter what you do, it won't burn anything up.

-
Back