Demon Engine Colour

-

hux340

Reaction score
Hi All,
340 in my Demon is coming out shortly to fit some new Doug's headers. While the motors out we're going to give it a lick of paint to make it look good. Is the colour Hemi Orange & is there a particular paint code?
Cheers,

18unspecified.jpg

I believe engine colors went by year of manufacture. Early small blocks were red, then later models were Chrysler blue. 65'

Good luck. This has been gone over many times. You will hear red, orange, blue and turquoise. The only way to tell for sure is if it was an unrestored vehicle. But I think it would have been blue.

Last edited:
you want the restoration correct color? then call these guys. Frank Badalson Home
. they are considered the standard with the paint colors.. he says there is a hemi orange and a 340 orange. says they are not the same.. he will sell ya what you need..

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, Demon is 71, all the photos I've seen from when they were new was an orange colour. Should have mentioned though I live in Australia.

See told you it would start. The last original 1971 340 Duster I saw at the last show the engine was blue. I talked to the owner and he told me he bought it new. He told me it was untouched and it sure looked like it. Blue with an orange air cleaner. I thought it looked like crap myself. The orange or red looks much better. But it's your car so you can paint it any color you want.

1971 340-engine.jpg
This is not the car but that is what it looked like. Except very dirty and used.

See told you it would start. The last original 1971 340 Duster I saw at the last show the engine was blue. I talked to the owner and he told me he bought it new. He told me it was untouched and it sure looked like it. Blue with an orange air cleaner. I thought it looked like crap myself. The orange or red looks much better. But it's your car so you can paint it any color you want.
Fair enough what you're saying but how does it explain the magazine articles when the cars were new with the orange 340's? Confusing.

1964 and 65 hemis were race hemi orange. Later hemis and 1970 and early 1971 340s were hemi orange. Late 1971 and 72 and 73 340s blue

Paint the engine orange & be done with it. The blue wouldn't look good against your plum crazy engine bay IMO

Paint the engine orange & be done with it. The blue wouldn't look good against your plum crazy engine bay IMO

i agree.

no where in th eoriginal post does he say it needs to be "correct". he wants to knwo what color and or paint code it is.. :)

Unless you know what color it was when it was new, and that information is actually documented somewhere, there is absolutely no way to know what color it should be. And as far as I can tell, Ma Mopar was pretty haphazard regarding what color they painted engines. That being said, given the year and engine size, there is a very good chance that "hemi-orange" is correct. Because most of these were.

Being a Dodge wouldn't it be tore red?
I think since you live in Australia and none of us will see it from here so you should be able to paint it any color you want! Lol I painted mine silver with black heads. I've done all the Mopar stock colors. It gets kind of boring after a while seeing the same thing. My-2.

1964 and 65 hemis were race hemi orange. Later hemis and 1970 and early 1971 340s were hemi orange. Late 1971 and 72 and 73 340s blue

That's it.
Yes, my 71' Duster has an orange 340 engine (and I bought it unrestored and unmolested) and my 72 Demon 'survivor' has a blue one.
Similar timeline as with the spine on the trunk-lid.

Thanks Guys, I'll be painting it Hemi Orange as I'm fairly certain that's how it came from the factory. Elko in Melbourne sells this colour in pressure packs for $25 Aus a can.

Don't be scared to paint it any color you want!
20170518_173147-1.jpg

This is the one my life and I painted for her to drag race last year. We drag raced it and then sold it. We have a spare engine and transmission for my wife's purple Durango. We can hardly wait to Painted this color and put it in the purple Durango. Next year....

IMG_20180327_141810.jpg

See here on my duster motor people will look at it and be looking what's this and what's that? If I look at a motor thats stock I basically glanced at it and see that it's the same one as I've seen a million times. food for thought. This must be what it's like for a woman when she goes to a party and finds out she's worn the same dress as a couple other women.

Once in awhile I just like to say it's okay to paint it whatever color you want to. People get so caught up in what other people expect it to look like. By all means if stock as a Rock turns your bolts it's your car! And I wouldn't want you to paint it any other color than something that makes you happy. That makes me happy for you...

-
Back