Denso Starter Repair (terminal broke)

-

shanker

Reaction score
While taking the starter off to replace batter cables, the trigger wire terminal broke clean off from the starter solenoid. I’m well aware (and have a plunger & contact kit in my toolbox) that these starters are easily rebuildable. But should I junk this starter which was otherwise working fine, or try and fix it?

I pulled this starter from a late 90’s Dakota from a pull-a-part about 15 years ago.

BE123B51-6F88-4BAF-AA17-97F1BD6D80BB.jpeg

A53556C4-5C6D-40E7-BDD0-FEBDA67FCD0C.jpeg

I guess the hunt for a terminal begins. I’m going to go to the Starter & Alternator shop in the morning that rebuilds them and see if they’ll sell me one that’ll work.

I'd have a go at fixing that, say a 3mm button head machine screw with a male spade terminal like you would find on an old coil , punch a sutable piece of rubber out and drill a 3mm center hole for bolt , washers both side and nylock nut to sinch it up.

$2.00 for the stud at my local Starter & Alternator repair shop (I guess I should give a shout-out to CC Battery) and I'll be back in business.

The Contact & Plunger Kit that I had did not have the trigger terminal post included with it.

Mini-Starter Solenoid Broken Terminal 03.jpg

$2.00 for the stud at my local Starter & Alternator repair shop (I guess I should give a shout-out to CC Battery) and I'll be back in business.

The Contact & Plunger Kit that I had did not have the trigger terminal post included with it.

View attachment 1715682994

Thanks for the update! It's amazing how simple those Denso starters are to rebuild. All of the wear items are all readily available too.

-
Back