Dent solution on rear right corner?

-

Tylan

Reaction score
My '74 Duster has a significant dent directly on the body line on the rear right corner of the car. It looks like the previous owner made an attempt to fix it, as there are several small bumps. This damage is also affecting the taillight seal between the housing and body, as seen pictured.
20201030_175137.jpg
20201030_175143.jpg

I'd pull the taillight of course, then work on it from the inside. I have a crap-ton of drifts and punches of all sizes and shapes, both metal and wood. I'd start at the edges of the biggest part of the dent with something having a rounded nose and start tapping it out. I find a 2# drilling hammer works well for enough muscle.

When I got that one close I'd get some help and have someone hold a belly curved dolly against the outside and finish reshaping it. You might need to heat this, that's a pretty sharp dent.

Once the ugly one is more-or-less back in place, I'd reverse the process and have a helper hold a dolly on the inside while I went after the pimple-looking things with a flat nose brass drift from the outside, again trying to flatten them back into place. I'm nobody's idea of a body man so if you get better advice take it. But I think I could work this back to where bondo would make it look respectable.

I totally agree with @halfafish, It doesn't really look all that bad. And Bondo can work wonders. And to be honest, you can't really make it look much worse.:)

If you can afford it, the Harbor Freight stud welder works wonders for pulling dents out. Takes 5 minutes to learn, and the results are great.

-
Back