Dented outer rocker panel...how to fix?

-
A quart of Bondo would fix that right up. Make sure you drill lots of holes in the patch area so the Bondo can get a GOOD grip on the area. Then prime and paint.
No! No! just kidding. Try pulling it out first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have a stud welder from HF that works OK. I have gotten pretty good at welding and rest repair patching. I could probably cut out the dented area, form a patch (or possibly use the piece I cut out) and weld it in in about the same time it would take to pull it out. PLUS, while the area is open, clean it out and spray some kind of rust preventer in there. I would use a 3" pneumatic cut off wheel. They are about $20 at HF (Harbor Freight). Please keep us advised on how it comes out (pun intended).

A quart of Bondo would fix that right up. Make sure you drill lots of holes in the patch area so the Bondo can get a GOOD grip on the area. Then prime and paint.
No! No! just kidding. Try pulling it out first. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have a stud welder from HF that works OK. I have gotten pretty good at welding and rest repair patching. I could probably cut out the dented area, form a patch (or possibly use the piece I cut out) and weld it in in about the same time it would take to pull it out. PLUS, while the area is open, clean it out and spray some kind of rust preventer in there. I would use a 3" pneumatic cut off wheel. They are about $20 at HF (Harbor Freight). Please keep us advised on how it comes out (pun intended).
Gonna need more than a quart . lol. Like I said, depends on your resources. I once ran into a door repair where they tacked a chunk of round stock where the body line should be and draped fiberglass mat over it. It had a 6 inch air gap under it.

Got some good use out of mine.
1666930940160.png

1666930971058.png

1666931004586.png

Not saying it won’t work. I’m a production guy. I just see it slowing me down. Should just keep my mouth shut. Nice job you did there.
I've got to chuckle when you say you are a "production" guy, and it would slow you down. I will say that I do excellent body and paint work, but boy am I slow. I have had no training, and I have probably picked up a lot of bad habits that will slow me down. But I keep at it and eventually get the desired result. In the end, you would probably take less than half the time to get the same job done. But time is money.

I've got to chuckle when you say you are a "production" guy, and it would slow you down. I will say that I do excellent body and paint work, but boy am I slow. I have had no training, and I have probably picked up a lot of bad habits that will slow me down. But I keep at it and eventually get the desired result. In the end, you would probably take less than half the time to get the same job done. But time is money.
It's not so much the stud gun in general that would slow me down but the design of that particular design. I could not run it with one arm.

-
Back