depressing newbe question of the day

-
if it rattles right when you floor then go's away, check yer timing cause you're probably pinging.

if yer spider gears were that fk'd up it would make noise 24-7

yes that first video was before the fix.. I'll check the play again.
I imagine it might be hard to find a shop where they can confidently tell me the condition of my ujoints and where they would know how to replace that joint. (excuse this question) what parts get replaced when replacing the ujoint? (do i have to replace the driveshaft and flange on the rear, or just all the little pieces that go on the cross?)

thanks

Just the U-joint itself (the cross X and caps) gets replaced. Nothing on the driveshaft or rearend gets replaced. Any good shop can tell you the condition of the U-joints. You just need to find a trusted shop as some unscrupulous shops might tell you it needs U-joints (or more) even if it doesn't. It's also good policy if your not familiar with the shop to ask for your old parts back. That helps keep them honest cause if they charge you for something and don't install it they won't have parts to give you back. See what I mean?

If your still unsure on what parts are associated with the the U-joint go down to your local auto parts store and ask to see a U-joint for your car.

more pics, this is about as far as I was able to take apart, dont quite know how to get the other caps out of the drive shaft.

does it still look like something is out of wack? I tried the c-clamp on drive shaft and it did not move at all. Also after the helicoil, there is no perceivable up and down play in the rear.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

Is kinda hard to see if there are c-clips on the other two ends of the cross, I think they are there, meh I should have looks closer...
Thanks again guys, cheers

Your video of that u-joint moving radially tells the whole story. It's old and got beat up by the lack of a bolt. On final assembly, clean everything and use medium strength loctite.

U-joints are cheap.
Just call around locally and see how much someone will charge you to change them out. You can carry the driveshaft to them. It's fairly simple and maybe you can watch them and learn.

Change both. If you chock the front tires and jack it real high in the back the tranny fluid should stay put.

after getting my loose as heck idler arm fixed the sounds are all but gone. kinda scary to think that was my steering

-
Back