Determining Belt Length

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I have a 69 340 with manual steering.

I changed my water pump pulley to be smaller and my crank pulley to be a little bit bigger, now my belt that I have is too long. What's the best way to determine how long of a belt I need so when I go to the parts store I have an idea what I'm looking for?

Put your belt on, take a pair of snips cut the belt until the ends touch. Measure with a tape or take the belt to the store and they can measure it.....

plan for the future, if you need/want to change the ratio again

I hope you realize that by speeding up the water pump, you also sped up the fan, and what's gonna happen at 7000 rpm.
I slowed mine down, with no problems.
YR and others recommend 1:1.
If you have a cooling problem below 30 mph, there are better ways to solve the issue.

plan for the future, if you need/want to change the ratio again

I hope you realize that by speeding up the water pump, you also sped up the fan, and what's gonna happen at 7000 rpm.
I slowed mine down, with no problems.
YR and others recommend 1:1.
If you have a cooling problem below 30 mph, there are better ways to solve the issue.

I use an electric fan from a Ford contour. My car is far from stock. I am adding aftermarket AC and want to plan ahead for it. My new pulley setup is exactly the same as a factory small block with AC.

-
Back