Determining my original License Plate Number - HOW?

-

60V200Wagon

Reaction score
So in the process of restoring my 1960 V200 Valiant wagon. Many steps still to go, but I've come upon this one right now.

When I bought the wagon, it came with one 'original' 1963 CA series black and yellow plate: black background, yellow numbers. I have the original pink slip showing the previous owner's name and the plate number. Goody gumdrops. Under CA license law, I can re-register using this plate as an original YOM plate registration.

BUT, here's my deal:

My wagon is a 1960. It would have originally come with a CA 1956 series Yellow background, Black number plate. I do not have this plate, nor any information on it.

HOW can I find out what the original plate number of the car was? Has anyone tried to obtain an original license plate number by doing a VIN search?

Please advise if you know anything that could help. I am wondering if this would be a lot more work than it's worth, considering I have a 1963 series plate with pinkslip. I probably could even just find a 1956 series plate and as long as the DMV says it hasn't been registered in the last 10 years, I could use that. BUT the thought of the ORIGINAL plate number on the car strikes me as very cool.

Thoughts?

Oh man....I just realized my car doesn't have a VIN, just a manufacturer's serial number.

Is there any way to do what I want??

If you have any pre-63 registration slips, they would have the plate number on them. Otherwise, I would just get some plates of the correct type at a swap meet and use those. Who's going to know if they are the originals or not? I you want to do the hours of research for former owners, original dealer, DMV records, knock yourself out!
Thanks, Mark

Thanks guys. Hmmmm....

No, I don't really want to do hours and hours of research on my car. Don't honestly think I'd find much.

Trying to decide: what adds more value to the vehicle? restoring and duplicating my original 1963 series black plate with yellow numbers (which I have the pinkslip for), or just finding a pair of original 1956 series CA yellow plates with black numbers to put on the car?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys. Hmmmm....

No, I don't really want to do hours and hours of research on my car. Don't honestly think I'd find much.

Trying to decide: what adds more value to the vehicle? restoring and duplicating my original 1963 series black plate with yellow numbers (which I have the pinkslip for), or just finding a pair of original 1956 series CA yellow plates with black numbers to put on the car?

Thoughts?

None of the above. I know the California guys like the black plates but the rest of us don't care.

I think cudamark had the best idea. Get the correct type at a swap meet. The larger swap meets often have a License plate guy that has hundreds (if not thousands) of restored plates that in some states can be licenced for you car. I have looked at these myself for my 68 Barracuda.

-
Back