Diabetes in the family...!??

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to my cousin just now (we are both 20 years old) and he was saying that he thinks he might have diabetes; he has felt sick for a few days, constantly urinating, and his toe has been numb the whole time too. Are these symptoms of diabetes or could it be something else? He says he's going to the doctor tomorrow to see but I wanted to find out who here has or knows someone who has diabetes. How hard is it to live with? He's really down about the whole thing and feels like his whole life will be turned upside down if it's true. I'm trying to be supportive because we're really close, he's one of the few people who think like I do and loves Mopars as much as me lol.

Man yes its a big deal if u dont keep up with it bud some of my famliy has it they live a good life as any one with out it would then i have some friends that have worse and they have alittle harder time but .. if he do have it man just be there for him he will be ok im praying for him and u bud pm me if u need to im going to bed for now tho

I do not have diabetes, but I can tell you that if you do have it take real good care of your feet. Pretty sure my Mother had it & she controlled it by diet....

Thanks Dart_Doctor... weird thing is inkjunkie he has a very good diet, only eats fruit for sweet stuff and lots of home-cooked meals (he's from the United Arab Emirates and his mom taught him how to cook). I think he said type 2 runs in his family, I'm assuming his dad's side because we're related through his mom and I don't recall our family having a history of it.

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 6 months ago, lots of pills and lots of label reading! I was up pissing about 5-6 times a night. Im controlling mine with diet and pills. Cut out the breads, potatoes, pasta, sweets, fruit juice as much as you can. Starch converts in your body to sugar. He has to read labels! No big deal if he stays on top of it. Fruits also are high in sugar.

It runs in my family. However my uncle has been in a few study groups and has been able to keep from getting it by diet and exercise. He is almost 70 and does not have it yet, where my mom and half brother has it. One bad thing about if you get it, you can't have as many deserts as you used to. But my neice is learning how to cook for people with diabetes with experimenting with recipies with Splenda.

dont use slenda use stevia instead its all natural,or agave necter works great too.

Makes sure he keeps the appointment and gets checked out. If he has diabetes it will be a shock at first...reassure him that he will be able manage this new challenge in life. It's great that he already knows how to cook and has a healthy diet, mostly he will have to avoid certain foods. A crisis like this can be a blessing in a way because it forces you to take care of yourself and appreciate life and also share your experience with other people who are going through it. Good luck you sound like a great cousin.

i have been diabetic for over 10 years...
anything 'white' is very starchy and turns to sugar fast in your body. Stevia is the best sweetener and the jury is still out on agave nectar as it has the same amount of calories as sugar and other reasons...the more i learn its best to stay away from any sweetener as you will crave sweets and mess with your self control. the best bet is to eat more green veggies and lean meats. look for foods on the low glycemic index.

alcohol is another issue also..your body stops using glycemic stores and burns alcohol sugars first (it sees it as a 'poison' to get rid of it first) then burns the extra calories you consume while drinking. alcohol also reduces insulin effectiveness over time. and spiking your sugar for extended periods of time...

if your friend is hefty, losing extra fat is benificial, it decreases the risk for heart disease and high blood pressure which tends to come along with diabetes.

just changes to the diet can make tremendous strides in combating diabetes.

the hardest part is resisting the foods that actually taste good, lol. at least that is what my problem is.

Interesting side effect of alcohol processing...

According to my research- the organs stop procesing the raw food INTO glucose while it's processing the alcohol, this allows those food materils to pass further into the system.

If you keep a moderate buzz for a few hours and do some moderate physical activity, say like working on a car, you actually end up with MUCH lower blood glucose levels.

This happend to me several times, and perplexed the hell out of both me and my doctor.
Just this past several months, I finally found an explanation.

For the past couple of years I've been calling it "the beer and garage diet".

I had the best A1c results since being diagnosed during the rebuild of my steering and suspension system, when I was consuming about 8-10 beers in about 5 hours and wrestling with the control arms, T bars, spindles, etc.

Diabetes affects different people differently.

I'd advise eating at least your lunch and dinner early.
I eat between 10 and 11, and then no later than 6.

Also retraining to make lunch the big meal and dinner smaller is very effective.

Realistically rethinking the "food pyrimid" helps to. for us, it's almost like it needs to be turned upside down.

modern medicine has come along way over the years thankfuly my son has diabetes since he was 14 now 21 ok lives by his meter and needle no problems so far made up his mind to live as healthy as he could with the help of my foot you just have to stick with your program all and every thime

Diagnosed 18 months ago.Type 2 Research info,GO to a DR. and follow what he or she says.

Interesting side effect of alcohol processing...

According to my research- the organs stop procesing the raw food INTO glucose while it's processing the alcohol, this allows those food materils to pass further into the system.

If you keep a moderate buzz for a few hours and do some moderate physical activity, say like working on a car, you actually end up with MUCH lower blood glucose levels.

This happend to me several times, and perplexed the hell out of both me and my doctor.
Just this past several months, I finally found an explanation.

For the past couple of years I've been calling it "the beer and garage diet".

I had the best A1c results since being diagnosed during the rebuild of my steering and suspension system, when I was consuming about 8-10 beers in about 5 hours and wrestling with the control arms, T bars, spindles, etc.

Diabetes affects different people differently.

I'd advise eating at least your lunch and dinner early.
I eat between 10 and 11, and then no later than 6.

Also retraining to make lunch the big meal and dinner smaller is very effective.

Realistically rethinking the "food pyrimid" helps to. for us, it's almost like it needs to be turned upside down.

Man an I glad to see this ... diabetes runs in my family too - so far so good for me, but at least this sounds like a diet I can live with if I do come down with it. Actually it's the one I am currently on so maybe that's why it hasn't caught me yet!!! :burnout:

Make sure to talk to more than one doctor!

My cousin a couple years ago was diagnosed with Diabetes by her doctor. She was prescribed insulin and for two years she took her shots.

But the weird thing is we have no history of diabetes in the family and she wasn't getting better.

After moving back home she went and seen another doctor. Turns out she had a Vitamin B12 deficiency instead due to not eating red meat. So they stopped giving her insulin and instead put her on a B12 supplement and she went back to normal. The doctor said she was within a few months of ending up in the hospital if the mistake wasn't treated.

Alright so some great news, my cousin went to the hospital today and doesn't have diabetes, thank God. I think he said he had a fractured vertebrae or something like that which messed up the nerves in his toe. Thank you to everyone with the kind words and advice, FABO rocks!!

My son was diagnosed with type 1 at age 15. He's 18 now. His initial symptoms were frequent urination, thirst, upset stomach, and weight loss. It changed almost every aspect of his life. He didn't deal well with it at first, but he's coming around. I didn't foresee the anger it created in him. Hell of a way to find out invincability is a myth. He says he is a human pin cushion.

-
Back