diagnose my 318

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
got a 318 that came out of a 71 truck. totally stock. it runs decent feels like it skips a little at steady cruise. when its first started it smokes a little and if going down hill coasting it smokes quite a bit when i get back on the throttle. also it has a valve tick that comes an goes. im thinking valve stem seals and a small cam and lifter set withe new timing set and water pump.
did my comp test. engine warm throttle wide open. did not pull all plugs at one time not sure it it makes a difference.
1-120
3-120
5-125
7-125-130 plug a little oily

2-125 slightly oily plug
4-120
6-125
8-125-130
all pumped up within 3 turns of the engine.will the valve stem seals cause oilly plugs?
oil pressure hot at idle is around 15lbs at 600 rpms and close to 40 when driving.

Comp results look good. Change those stem seals. It smokes going downhill cause there is higher rpm at idle and high manifold vacuum (throttle plates closed) This sucks oil past the stems and seals. When you get back on the throttle..big plume of blue smoke.

Seals will only do so much if the guides themselves are shot. A head rebuild is probably in this engines future.

was told the motor only hide somewher around 80000. never know though. thanks for the replies gonna try the seals first and hope for the best. any thoughts on the summit cam kits for 110 bucks?

Ditto on the valve seals. But go for it. A little help it can be for a very cheap price.

Summit cams are ground by Crane cams and are very good and a great bang for the buck. Purchase the cam with new springs to match the cam.

thanks rumblefish. thinking of going with the smallest or the next one up cam.

hows thi cam sound?216 duration, 454 lift 110 lobe seperation, fair idle biggest cam for stock engine. its gonna be geared 355 with 3 speed manual. looking for a decent sound that wont kill my power or budget. just a driver no racing. what fair idle compared to smooth to fair idle?

If you're talking about the he268h, yes. I installed this cam in my 318 and it came a live. Order the kit 20-212-2 and a double roller chain, the chain that comes in the kit does not look healthy to me. You will have to change your springs and it comes with umbrella seals so you can change those while you're at it. With a 3.55 gear it should be fun.

this is summits version cam and lifters 145 dollars. close to same specs i beleive. hows the sound of the 268h?

xe262h cam? looks like the right power range. anyone use this cam and hows the idle? it advertised fair idle. im wanting a fairly choppy idle.

still looking for the right cam. im wanting to keep this engine 2bbl as gas prices are hurting. what is recommended for economy over a stock cam. thinking about the xe268h comp kit or the xe262h. says need adjustable valve train?

The 2bbl will be your biggest stumbling block for gas mileage, especially when combined with the single plane early iron manifold. A properly jetted Eddy 1406 on a Performer manifold will beat it every time for mileage. The selection of different jets/rods for the BBD is just about zero, so if you change anything with the engine the carb will not be right. Also, pretty safe bet the throttle shaft bores on that 1971 carb wore out a long time ago.

Now as for the cam. I wouldn't go any bigger then the XE262 without raising compression. Isn't there an XE256? What are your rear gears?

Best combo for gas mileage if you're keeping the 318 basically stock. Eddy 1406, Performer intake, XE262, electronic ignition, 2 1/4" dual exhaust possibly with 1 5/8" headers.

this is summits version cam and lifters 145 dollars. close to same specs i beleive. hows the sound of the 268h?

Got a bit of lump to it, not bad. If you are intent on running the BBD and tall gears you might want something else. I ran it last year with a 2.76 open and it really didn't like it, kind of a dog from out of the hole. I have since upgraded to an 8 3/4 with 3.55's and a suregrip. You really would want a 4v carb and headers with a 2 1/2" exhaust to compliment the cam along with rear gears.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, it depends on what your future plans are. If you are going to make upgrades in the near future then run it.

got 3.55 gears also 2.25 dual exhaust. 3 speed manual. have a 1406 eddy sitting in my building just need a good intake. so the xe262 with performer manifold and 600 eddy would do decent gas wise? not wanting to run header but if it will help enuff id consider it.

hows thi cam sound?216 duration, 454 lift 110 lobe seperation, fair idle biggest cam for stock engine. its gonna be geared 355 with 3 speed manual. looking for a decent sound that wont kill my power or budget. just a driver no racing. what fair idle compared to smooth to fair idle?

Goto the Comp Cams website called camquest.com you can input all your engines and vehicles specs and it will give you some recommendations on what cams to use and then take all the variables and come up with a close estimate as to how much horsepower and torque your engine will develop. You have to measure valve sizes (1.75 intake on a 318, measured it myself and 1.5 exhaust) and use a rough estimate on compression ratio and whatnot and some other things, pretty cool.

-
Back