Dick Landy Industries built 340

-

69Vert

Reaction score
So I bought a complete crate motor years back that was built by DLI and I don't know a whole lot about it. Just wondering if anyone out there knows where I can get more info since they went out of biz back in 2007 when Dick passed away.
Tough times mean I may have to sell but not really even sure what the value is...
Any direction you fellow FABO members can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Here are a couple photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 985
You on Facebook? I am friends with Dick's son, Robert Landy. Friend him. He is super nice and will lay it on you.

What's the yellow '69 Bcuda in the back ground?????

Vin off the pass side pan rail?

What year is the engine? Hard to tell from the stamp on front.

It's a 1969 Barracuda Convertible.
I planned on putting the engine it but tough times mean I'll probably have to sell.
My pops had a 67 Barracuda convertible back in the day and always regretted selling so I bought this for us to restore a few years back. Been collecting parts since but like I said, tough times mean I'm probably going to have to liquidate. It's in decent shape but the previous owner was color blind so the color scheme is pretty awful. Bright yellow paint, tan top and red interior...
We're in the process of getting it ready to sell so you'll probably see it listed in the next few weeks.

The engine is at my pops but I'm pretty sure the vin traces it back to somewhere between 68-73. LA family but not T/A or AARON. If I'm not mistaken its 2780930.

I hate to be a downer but I would expect the engine to look more professionally built if done by Landy. Just my take on what I see.

It clearly has the Landy stamp on it.

It's a 1969 Barracuda Convertible.
I planned on putting the engine it but tough times mean I'll probably have to sell.
My pops had a 67 Barracuda convertible back in the day and always regretted selling so I bought this for us to restore a few years back. Been collecting parts since but like I said, tough times mean I'm probably going to have to liquidate. It's in decent shape but the previous owner was color blind so the color scheme is pretty awful. Bright yellow paint, tan top and red interior...
We're in the process of getting it ready to sell so you'll probably see it listed in the next few weeks.

The engine is at my pops but I'm pretty sure the vin traces it back to somewhere between 68-73. LA family but not T/A or AARON. If I'm not mistaken its 2780930.

For those looking for lost engine, the vin might help.

2780930 is not the vin, that's the casting number, same as every production 340/4.

There is a drain plug just above the pass side pan rail. Below that is a machined pad with a vin likely stamped in it. The casting date can help as well.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=285021

I hate to be a downer but I would expect the engine to look more professionally built if done by Landy. Just my take on what I see.

I know nothing about DLI motors, but from my stance he was a racer NOT a show car guy. Anyone buying a motor from DLI would be looking for DL's knowledge of racing and motors, NOT looks......just my 2cents

I'm sure it was pretty and shiny at one point..... like when it left the shop.

I would think the thing was ran, and possibly rebuilt at some point not necessarily by Landy?

Very crappy engine. Since I live close to you I'll give you $200 to haul it away for you. The worth of that engine is just the value of scrap metal. Let me know when I can come by and offload it for you.

There's some prestige value in having a Dick Landy built motor. I wish I had it. The bragging rights alone will make it worth more than a comparable engine. But I have no idea of the value.

I remember there was a article in Hot Rod magazine in the 80s about the 340 Dick Landy built. I going to look to see if I still have this article.

There's some prestige value in having a Dick Landy built motor. I wish I had it. The bragging rights alone will make it worth more than a comparable engine. But I have no idea of the value.

Exactly. It's slam ate up with cool points.

-
Back