Did 3 speed standard A Body's come with in dash "reverse light"?

-

richy rich

Reaction score
Hey guys,Im sure I read this here somewhere...yet I couldnt find it...
Did 3 speed stick cars come with the reverse light on the dash?
Or was it only a 4 speed thing?
In particular a 71 340 Demon...?
Any info would be of help...So thanks in Advance!

4 speed only and 68 up

some 68 did not have it either if it was an early build with the inland shifter. The INLAND shifter had a reverse lock out that you had to pull the lock up to go into reverse. In mid 68 when they went to the HURST shifter, it did not have a lock out so it was feared that you could go into reverse by accident so that is why the light on the dash.

3 speed did not have the light because it was not considered high performance so because people didn't typically race with 3 speed, the driver had time to decipher what gear he or she was in.

in my opinion the 3 speed should have had a light, especially when 3 on the floor because you go to what feels like first gear, which is actually reverse on a 3 speed.

Thank You for your input!!
The car im inquiring on is in fact a 71 340 3 speed Demon.Truth be told I forgot Demon's came with 3 speeds,but they did!Although Im sure most were sold with auto,or the optional 4speeds.On the car Im looking at Neither auto or 4sp is on the fender tag and there is no reverse light in the dash so Im guessing its a fact 3 speed stick car...as it is a fact stick car!

Thank You for your input!!
The car im inquiring on is in fact a 71 340 3 speed Demon.Truth be told I forgot Demon's came with 3 speeds,but they did!Although Im sure most were sold with auto,or the optional 4speeds.On the car Im looking at Neither auto or 4sp is on the fender tag and there is no reverse light in the dash so Im guessing its a fact 3 speed stick car...as it is a fact stick car!

in a 71 demon .....auto and 4 speed were extra cost options so if you ordered the car new and didn't want to pay extra over the base price then you got a 3 speed as standard which is why many people refer to manually shifted cars as "standards" because most cars in the 60s and 70 got 3 speeds as "standard" equipment when the original purchaser didn't want to add any extra cost options.

calling a 4 speed as a "standard" is a common misnomer because very very few cars ever had a 4 speed as "standard" with the base price ....typically the 4 speed was always extra cost so there was nothing "standard" about it because the original purchaser had to specify a 4 speed and pay extra.

exceptions are the 69 dart swinger 340 and the 68 Plymouth roadrunner which came "standard" with a four speed, if you didn't specify, that is what you got. However on those models, if you wanted the auto torqueflight on the column, you would have had to specify and pay extra. Standard equipment varied over model and over the years.

Not '71 but my '72 318, floor mount 3 speed that I ordered new in late '71 did NOT have the reverse indicator light .
Yote

And I've heard that the 3spd that came behind the 340 had a different gear set than the regular 3spd.

And I've heard that the 3spd that came behind the 340 had a different gear set than the regular 3spd.
Do you know what the difference was and if it was also synchronized. I have one I will put in my 67 Dart soon just need a bell housing.

-
Back