Did any of you horsepower calculator guys ever use this

-
Anybody who knows anything about hosepower numbers and sees peak hp at less than 4000 rpm, instinctively knows something is wrong with the method.

Imo, the real problem with all of these types of calculators/formulas is...... they’re usually pretty close...... on something.
So then there’s an assumption made that it should be close on everything....... when it clearly isn’t.

As I said in an earlier post, it’s pretty close for the power number on a 10:1 350 SBC with E street heads and an RPM intake, and a Thumper cam.

But, over 100 off on a 10:1 446 with a nice solid cam, Sidewinder Heads, and an RPM.

This calculator shows the hp/ci is a fair amount better for the 355 than the 446, when in reality it was better for the 446.

Last edited:
i don’t put a lot of stock in the numbers because in my case right now I’ve gone 9.42@138mph. But between what I think need a bigger carb (850 gas converted to alcohol), 4.88 gears, and a solid lifter cam, my combo is dead in the water before 1000 foot. Hopefully try a bigger carb this year and update my five year old valve springs.
Ever consider mechanical injection? I was running a gas dominater many years ago and went to F.I. and methanol, picked up over two tenths and three or four mph. E85 could also be used, from what i hear only .05 slower than methanol.

Im getting 265 which is probably pretty close. 360 with Stock heads Stock intake stock manifolds 220 duration cam and 10:1 compression.

Ever consider mechanical injection? I was running a gas dominater many years ago and went to F.I. and methanol, picked up over two tenths and three or four mph. E85 could also be used, from what i hear only .05 slower than methanol.

I bought a pump and set up years ago that needed rebuilt and kicked it around some but decided against it. Heck the engine still has a flat tappit cam in it. I took a car that weighted under 2600 pounds and made it weigh 2860 just to make it old man bracket car friendly. I have my go fast car sitting here for when I want to go a little faster but it sure as heck won’t go five years between rebuilds. Lol

From every combo I can put in it goes close to the formula CFM ×'s 2, give or take a few hp

-
Back