did Dodge ever make a skid plate to protect A500 (42RH) trans pans

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put a 42 RH trans in my Dart. The factory pan is really deep to contain the additional stuff for the 4 speed overdrive. The plug in the pan sticks out of the bottom of the pan and I finally snagged it on something. It is the lowest thing under my car, just below the exhaust pipes. Does anybody know if Dodge had some sort of skid plate arrangement when they put these in trucks? I don't want to attach anything to the pan bolts because they go into aluminum.

I put a 42 RH trans in my Dart. The factory pan is really deep to contain the additional stuff for the 4 speed overdrive. The plug in the pan sticks out of the bottom of the pan and I finally snagged it on something. It is the lowest thing under my car, just below the exhaust pipes. Does anybody know if Dodge had some sort of skid plate arrangement when they put these in trucks? I don't want to attach anything to the pan bolts because they go into aluminum.

What pan did you go with? I had a deep pan from dorman on it, I didn't think it hung that low. I don't know if Dodge has anything protecting it.

Off topic, but did you get the vibration handled?

I used the pan it came with. The primary problem in this case was the plug sticking out on the bottom (wish they had designed it with the plug an the side). I just thought that perhaps they had something to protect the pan in trucks that I could utilize.

The vibration came from 2 sources. I realized that even though the driveshaft was new, it had no weight attached, so I took it to Northwest Drivelines and they ran it and found that while close, they were able to remove some vibration at the rear yoke. Second, a careful inspection of the driveline angles showed that the front and back angles were not complimentary, and a shim in the perch solved that - 95% of the vibration disappeared.

I used the pan it came with. The primary problem in this case was the plug sticking out on the bottom (wish they had designed it with the plug an the side). I just thought that perhaps they had something to protect the pan in trucks that I could utilize.

The vibration came from 2 sources. I realized that even though the driveshaft was new, it had no weight attached, so I took it to Northwest Drivelines and they ran it and found that while close, they were able to remove some vibration at the rear yoke. Second, a careful inspection of the driveline angles showed that the front and back angles were not complimentary, and a shim in the perch solved that - 95% of the vibration disappeared.

Good deal. Is your car that low? You could probably fab up a skid plate not sure where you'd attach it tho

It is no lower than my other two Darts (and I like them to sit a bit higher than stock, actually), but even with extra capacity pans in them, this one is deeper still because of the additional stuff that protrudes down into the pan for the overdrive. I wasn't concerned until the plug snagged something and cause the pan to leak around the plug ( a cup on the floor overnight). All I need is to rip the plug out while on the road a thousand miles from home.

And yes where to install the plate is the issue, that's why I was wondering if Mopar had already figured that out. If nothing else, I'll get a new pan ($35 on Amazon!!!) and get the current plug hole welded up and put a new plug in on the side of the pan at the back.

It is no lower than my other two Darts (and I like them to sit a bit higher than stock, actually), but even with extra capacity pans in them, this one is deeper still because of the additional stuff that protrudes down into the pan for the overdrive. I wasn't concerned until the plug snagged something and cause the pan to leak around the plug ( a cup on the floor overnight). All I need is to rip the plug out while on the road a thousand miles from home.

And yes where to install the plate is the issue, that's why I was wondering if Mopar had already figured that out. If nothing else, I'll get a new pan ($35 on Amazon!!!) and get the current plug hole welded up and put a new plug in on the side of the pan at the back.

Gotcha. Yea, that may be the best way to go. New pan and change the plug.

Got an 92 Dakota with the same transmission and no skid plate on it

75 slant6 put me on to one above and I think it will do the job

I don't know when or why, but there are 2 (maybe more?) different depth pans for 518s. Possibly they did the same for the 500s, and you have the deeper one? I really have no idea, just tossing thoughts and possibilities...

20190223_121741.jpg

-
Back