Did I get the wrong fuel pump?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
1972 Dart Custom Sedan, 318, a904

I went to replace the fuel pump in my dart because the old one gave out but I'm having a hard time finding one.

The only pumps the local parts places carry have a straight lever. At first I just figured it was a redesign but after installing it and getting no go-juice, I pulled it off and compared to my old one.

It seems that not only is the lever on the old one shorter, but the angle is different at the end so the fuel pump lobe would need to be taller to actuate it.

I know you're thinking that the cam might be worn, but I highly doubt that. It has less than 1000 miles on it and I don't believe I'm having any oiling issues.

To be sure it wasn't a plumbing issue, I just hooked up some clear tubing and ran it to a gas can. I even tried pouring gas into the pump to prime it and still nothing.

Also, I'm pretty darn sure I installed it correctly. Tilted it down when inserting, you feel resistance while tightening bolts at the arm pushed against the cam (But it wasn't much resistance. Probably only pivoted about .25"), etc.

So does this sound like an issue of having the wrong pump? The old ones lever was longer and had a sort of "S" bend.

Edit: The more I read, the more I feel that it's an issue with the eccentric... Ugh.

Your correct fuel pump is Carter #M6866. This is it.

Attachments

• M6866 FUEL PUMP.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 166
That looks like the one I got. Everything seems to be pointing toward the eccentric being the cause. :(

Anyone know the easiest way to get at it?

Remove the timing cover.

Okay, cool. That's not so bad. Thanks Rusty! :)

If you're ever in Cali, I think I owe you a beer or two... or seven.

Post the part no. for whatever pump you are trying to use.

Are you aware the small AND big block Chevy pumps have the same mounting flanges as the small block Mopar?

I actually took the first one back because I didn't think it was right. Made them bring out all the other ones listed for my car as well as a few from different years. Only differences were the outlet orientation.

I think I was just really hoping it wasn't the eccentric. haha

It didn't help that the picture on their computers showed the "S' shaped lever arm...

I had the same issue with a new pump I got at NAPA. It was part #60514 0815. The arm was shaped different and I decided to put the Carter back on.

Attachments

• version2 072.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 119
-
Back