#%&@*!!%&, did I just do that?

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this in hopes that if more of you jump onto this thread, I won't look so stupid.

After reading all the advice on how to easily install the torsion bars, what did I do? Instead of letting the LCR fall to its lowest position, I got under it with a jack and raised it till I got the T-bar hex into the slot. It went in real nice, too!!! Of course, after I got both sides done, I look in from the top to see the arms on the adjusters cocked UP at about a 45 degrees; indexed exactly one hex too far clockwise. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Luckily, since they had only recently been installed, it wasn't too much trouble to pop them back out and do it the right way. Funny thing...they went in really slick when I LOWERED the LCRs.

Generally speaking, I try to work easier, not harder

I'm posting this in hopes that if more of you jump onto this thread, I won't look so stupid.

After reading all the advice on how to easily install the torsion bars, what did I do? Instead of letting the LCR fall to its lowest position, I got under it with a jack and raised it till I got the T-bar hex into the slot. It went in real nice, too!!! Of course, after I got both sides done, I look in from the top to see the arms on the adjusters cocked UP at about a 45 degrees; indexed exactly one hex too far clockwise. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Luckily, since they had only recently been installed, it wasn't too much trouble to pop them back out and do it the right way. Funny thing...they went in really slick when I LOWERED the LCRs.
Don’t put the spindles on the wrong side and realize once it’s all buttoned up and about to put the calipers on… :BangHead:

Everybody learns somehow. Don't feel bad.

There are times that I do that. I don't build front ends very often and since it's easy to fix it I don't worry about it.

It tough going from chevys to mopars…

It's easier, it's just costs more and you have to spend months finding it because Summit and Jeg's don't have chrome plated billet whatever it is.

Don’t put the spindles on the wrong side and realize once it’s all buttoned up and about to put the calipers on… :BangHead:
Unless you rather have the calipers on the rear of the spindle instead of the front to clears future sway bar, that’s what I did.

On my Duster I have many days of assemble three things, remove two to put the forth on because it should have been second step… assembled 5 steering columns worth of my one steering column last weekend lol.

Dude, don't worry. That is not NEARLY as stupid as some of the knuckleheaded things I have done. But the good news is that once you learn something the hard way, it sinks in real good.

One time, when doing a brake job on a 65 Corvette, I slipped the pads in backwards so that the metal backing side was pressing up against the rotor. Boy did that make a grinding noise.

Another time, on the same Corvette, I installed the throwout bearing backwards. On some cars they are idiot proof, but not on that one.

I'd like to say those were the only two, but there are a LOT more.
Stuff Happens. Thanks for sharing. This might keep someone else from doing that.

Unless you rather have the calipers on the rear of the spindle instead of the front to clears future sway bar, that’s what I did.

On my Duster I have many days of assemble three things, remove two to put the forth on because it should have been second step… assembled 5 steering columns worth of my one steering column last weekend lol.

Yeah, front mounts no good with a sway bar…

-
Back