Did some chrome work today

-

BARRACUDA340S

Reaction score
There is a chrome shop 30 miles from me who did all my chrome for the resto. The ole boy that owns it is pretty cool. When I broke my rocker molding piece I got another set off ebay. He taught me how to do the repairing of the metal so I could prep the pieces I wanted chromed and save money. I spent about an hour there today working on my piece and then he chromes it for me. He tells me to pay him what ever I want. He say's I do good work!! I'm gonna offer to work around the shop once and a while so I can learn the trade. Who knows? it might be my next career. There is a ton of business out there.

It's cool when someone lets you get involved like that. It is so much better than someone just taking your money and sending you on your way.

(Hey, my 100th post!)

Sounds like this chrome guy is a gentleman. Around here, the chrome staff are not first class people. The gouge you and take advantage of everyone. They charged me $30 to do the short engine compartment brace after I had polished it. I have to drive 60 miles to get another chrome shop. I'm afraid they got us all around here. Too bad they are not nice people.:scratch:

how much does chroming usually cost? i want to get some pieces on my car chromed, and some rechromed.. but i figured i would pay out the ***... and out the *** isnt an amount i come by too often, and if i did, it would be for something like a new rear end, or engine parts...

We get shafted on chroming in Hawaii, only two shops currently do it. Well its nice to see you're working on the cuda again Brett :wink: :thumleft:

I did a little work on it when I got home. I spent 15 minutes trying to put the car cover back on :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The nearest chrome shop to me is 250 miles away. There is a shop here but they just send it out and you might see your part again 2 months later. :roll:

Jack

We have one in town. They take an average of 4-6 weeks for any part. They charge big bucks and provide minimal quality. I think they take care of their buddies (hot rod types) and give the rest of us gas. I was using them for my a-body mirrors and they said they would not do them anymore because I wanted the work done perfectly. Well, when I pay top dollar for chrome plating, I want a perfect job. Now I take them to Oregon plating in Portland. These guys charge the same but do an outstanding job. Too bad they do not have any quality control here in town. No pride! :wink:

I will say this, chrome work is very time comsuming! all the labor is in the prep! Anyone who knows the trade can do a good job if they want to!

I've been dabbling with Electroless Chroming for several years now.

About the only drawback is the inability to do really large stuff. No bumpers, no electricity. All done with chemicals on the stove. It's REAL easy to do too.

You will need to learn how to polish the metals yourself prior to plating. If it draws a magnet you can plate it with this process.

Check out www.caswellplating.com for the do it yourself stuff. I use their products and am very happy with 'em.

hth,
Jim

I agree with Brett. When I do aluminum work, I polish it to chrome standards. I have 2 buffing wheels so I know how much work it takes. I had a lower grille shell off a '68 Dart anodized and it did not turn out good enough. I need to strip it and re-polish it. If these guys would do 10 minutes more polishing on my chrome pieces, we would not have a problem. They are in too big a hurry to get the work done. I need a craftsman in the shop like Brett. Now he will do it right! :cheers:

-
Back