Diesel A body

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
I was looking in CL for a 360 and when I typed in 5.9L I got a few diesel 5.9L.Has anyone put a diesel in a A-body.That be a pretty cool car just saying.

Yes it has been done. I know a guy that has a diesel motor in his 74 duster (uses a big block 727 tranny and 8.75 rear), he calls it diesel duster.

cummins FTW
[ame=http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/aiche_photos/Dodge%20Diesel/?action=view&current=Cummins002.mp4]
th_Cummins002.jpg
[/ame]

I can only imagine how tall you could make your gears with a mildly built turbo deisel! :) That much torque to play with and some tall gears and you could make that car rediculously quick considering how light it is.

now did someone put in a 5.9? Or something smaller like a 4 cylinder?

a guy brought a late 60,s not sure what year for sure, but he had put a 4bt cummins diesel in it was running rich he drove it from rock island il to indy at 38 mpg custom tube chassis no hood straight stack straight up by the fire wall pretty cool car actually

Probably need some serious suspension and frame work as those diesels are not light at all.

Yes it has been done. I know a guy that has a diesel motor in his 74 duster (uses a big block 727 tranny and 8.75 rear), he calls it diesel duster.

I saw that car at an all Mopar show back in 95 or so in Gresham Oregon at the college. I have a picture stashed away somewhere of the diesel duster on the fender. Was the coolest car there! LOL!

I've owned a few that smoked like Diesels......
I agree that a Cummins 5.9 would be extremely heavy and overkill. The engine and trans would require extensive bracing and reinforcements to resist torsional stress. The engine alone weighs over 1000 lbs! A fully dressed 440 weighs around 700.
The 4BT has been discussed before, and may actually be a decent idea. If you had access to a junkyard full of parts for free, this could be fun. Otherwise, you'd spend far more on this conversion than you would save in fuel. Its fun to think about though.....

I have always thought the 71-74 Charger platform would be sweet for a CTD swap. All that room between the grill and core support!!!

i know its not a a-body but here is my 61 newport with a cummins also there is a vid of it on youtube if you type in cummins powered derby car

Attachments

• derbycar054.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 332
  • th_Derby2009042.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 330
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVT61KRyd8"]CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL DEMOLITION DERBY CAR!!! PLAINS MT - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• th_Derby2009042.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 324
I have always thought the 71-74 Charger platform would be sweet for a CTD swap. All that room between the grill and core support!!!

+1. The nose on the car may be just long enough to hold the engine without much fire wall removal. Just got to find the right car.

i know its not a a-body but here is my 61 newport with a cummins also there is a vid of it on youtube if you type in cummins powered derby car

you must be proud, butchering and then destroying an otherwise pretty car.
nice work!

-
Back