Difference between 70-71-72 dusters...

-
My 71 has no slotted bumpers, looks awful original. Somewhere in later part of year, they probably have used up and went to next years bumpers.
Didn't 72 have the hard headliner?
My 71 has the fuel evaporator stuff in trunk.
Right on all accounts!

So here is my question for the group, especially TA who started me down this rabbit hole...... I have a 70 intact Duster with a 198 /6 3 on the tree numbers matching, conventional dash with knob radio, that I had planned to clone to a 340 with 71 stripes (my high school car). Now TA has almost 100% convinced me that I should just restore as is. Thoughts???
Cheers
Tim

So here is my question for the group, especially TA who started me down this rabbit hole...... I have a 70 intact Duster with a 198 /6 3 on the tree numbers matching, conventional dash with knob radio, that I had planned to clone to a 340 with 71 stripes (my high school car). Now TA has almost 100% convinced me that I should just restore as is. Thoughts???
Cheers
Tim
He convinced me to leave mine as it is.

I have a 71 duster slant car, and I was going to clone it to a 340 car with 70 stripes and a 70 color.

But now after thinking bout it, i am leaving it pure 71 and a slant

Decades ago, we stuck a bigger engine in a ??? called it hotrodding,then came the clone deal, I always thought that it originated at BJ!? Back bout mid 90's I got into early B bodies, stuck a 440 4 speed in a 64 Savoy ( originally a slant no doubt), light fun car and I called it " a savoy with a 440) LOL, NOBODY hardly found much love in what I did to the savoys, 65 coronets, 64 bels. and a host of others. There were just slant or poly 318 cars nobody wanted, there were too many REAL muscle cars out there to restore for fair prices.
IN our A body world these days, most of our cars we are building are NOT "musclecars", but slants and low compression teeners. Afffordable fun builders, no matter which direction we go. Personally I love to put my foot in one with some real hp, and feel the rush, BUT I also love just tooling down the road in an anemic stock slant. Best of both and all worlds is have a fleet cars! of hemis, big blocks, 340's, stroked 360's, and some stock teeners and slants!!!
And, throw in a Ford of some sort for the days you are feelng just a little "off"!!???? ha

Original cars as delivered are getting to be hard to find.

Years ago, there was a Panther Pink T/A clone for sale in Canada.

It was originally a Panther Pink 198 /6 3-speed stick car.

I had the money at the time & the price was 'right', especially since I would have sold all the T/A clone stuff of to get some money back.

So, I asked the seller if the original flat hood, /6 & three speed came with it.

His response - " I threw all that crap away!"

My response - "You just lost your buyer."

It took close to 2 years to actually sell & that guy did not keep it for long.

Some cars do not have as much value as others in monetary terms.

Historically though? /6 cars are being changed all the time.

The 70 and early 71 a bodies had the flat right inner apron. Late 71 and 72 had the recessed depression in the right inner apron. And if I remember right, there was a late 72 version of that too with a larger depression for the vapour cannister.

-
Back