Difference between 70's and 80's coils.

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
I noticed that my 86 RC with the four pin brain(ignition) box takes a different coil than the late 70's four pin brain box.....just curious to why the part number had changed. Anybody have an idea is to what the difference may be and why?

I'm thinking I'm seeing the difference now and it's inside the tower part......ones a hollow tube 70's and the 80's is a stud inside the tower....hmmmmmm

That would just be the method used to connect the coil lead the sec connection. No difference in operation, all lese being equal.

I would think the difference between 70s and 80s coils would be about ten years.

The reason I posted this is cause of Rick's Ebay listings on ignition stuff was saying that his coil was true Mopar speck....so I just started researching stuff just trying to learn.

Then I noticed that the part number changed to a different number and wasn't using the term superseded like they were just plain different and not just a new part number change going forward.

Anyways....thanks.

Sorry don't know. "Coil resistance" is not the only story. Core material, shape of the core, and turns ratio to name "a few"

I recently had a "war" with an offshore ebay seller which ended in stalemate. They market cheap 3rd world junk coils which are SUPPOSED to replace the magneto coils in old Johnson/ Evinrudes. Comparing open circuit secondary output on a tester I have, the junk coils are a FRACTION of the output of old, cracked open OEM coils, and can be seen visually by spark gap.

So there's THAT factor--a so called claimed replacement---that "ain't"

The reason I posted this is cause of Rick's Ebay listings on ignition stuff was saying that his coil was true Mopar speck....so I just started researching stuff just trying to learn.

Then I noticed that the part number changed to a different number and wasn't using the term superseded like they were just plain different and not just a new part number change going forward.

Anyways....thanks.
His Distributors - Chinese
His Ignition Coils - Chinese
His 7500 ECU - You guessed it

His ECU yes - When it failed , I took it apart
C H I N A was stamped

His distributor and coil on a friends car

I went to replace the T Slot on the distributor because I wasn’t happy with the mechanical advance
What a piece of total junk

His ECU yes - When it failed , I took it apart
C H I N A was stamped

His distributor and coil on a friends car

I went to replace the T Slot on the distributor because I wasn’t happy with the mechanical advance
What a piece of total junk
Interesting......

-
Back