difference between a 65 dart steering box and 67 or later

-

jw97neon

Reaction score
what are the differences between the gear boxes? my car is a 65. i have pst book here and they offer 16:1 box for 459. it says 67-76. thanks

The only difference I'm aware of is between the slant box and V8 box - slant has needle bearings and V8's have roller bearing - or the other way round - memory!

Some of the early A-body boxes I've seen have smaller mounting holes. They're easy to open up though since the case is aluminum.

62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings. The steering boxes that have the part number ending in 349 are the needle bearing boxes that have a total of 141 roller bearings in 3 stacks on the pinion shaft. The boxes ending in 350 use 3 solid bushings instead of the needle bearings.

62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings. The steering boxes that have the part number ending in 349 are the needle bearing boxes that have a total of 141 roller bearings in 3 stacks on the pinion shaft. The boxes ending in 350 use 3 solid bushings instead of the needle bearings.

How...how do you know these things Roy?? You amaze me sometimes!!

How...how do you know these things Roy?? You amaze me sometimes!!
Some of it is knowledge from the internet. The rest is hands on. I searched for a long time to find where I could buy those funky looking bearings on the front and the rear of the worm gear sector. I buy these boxes up when I can and rebuild them from time to time. I'll have about 10-20 boxes on hand at any time.

Some of it is knowledge from the internet. The rest is hands on. I searched for a long time to find where I could buy those funky looking bearings on the front and the rear of the worm gear sector. I buy these boxes up when I can and rebuild them from time to time. I'll have about 10-20 boxes on hand at any time.

So I should send you this one I have out of a 67 Cuda that someone welded a u joint on to the splines! It would just be for parts at this point!!!

Yeah the worm gear shaft is pretty much toast. But the rest of it still has some usable parts. Still good for a partial core.

Does anyone know why 67-up A-bodies used larger mounting bolts?
That is the only problem and difference between the earlier and later boxes. They changed in 66 I'm pretty sure. enlarge the hole on a early box and you can use it on a later model.

wow thanks. so because being that the later box uses a larger bolt will i have a issue using it on it 65 k member? sorry i am not aware of how it mounts.... i have yet to remove it.

The difference is not that much. Just ream them or drill the hole a little larger. I think it had to do with non shoulder bolts versus shouldered bolts.
I have never ran into the size difference myself.

wow thanks. so because being that the later box uses a larger bolt will i have a issue using it on it 65 k member? sorry i am not aware of how it mounts.... i have yet to remove it.

There earlier K uses a smaller size thread. You'll be fine using a later box on an early K member. If anything, use a washer or make some sort of bushing.

-
Back